Youth Season

cyclonenation10

Will anyone else be out for the youth hunt tomorrow in Iowa? My dad and I will be taking along two kids, one has a decent amount of prior hunting experience (not so much pheasants) and the other is pretty green. Looks like it's going to be a bit windier and warmer that I'd prefer, but hopefully we can get one to connect, or atleast some good opportunities!

Best of luck. The chapter of PF that I belonged to use to take out kids . It was NOT pleasant! The kids were wild, and wouldn't listen. They were also dangerous. Over the years we stopped two or three hunts because of safety issues, and not listening. Have your head on a swivel.

Best of luck. The chapter of PF that I belonged to use to take out kids . It was NOT pleasant! The kids were wild, and wouldn't listen. They were also dangerous. Over the years we stopped two or three hunts because of safety issues, and not listening. Have your head on a swivel.
I don't understand how this has happened?
Our pf group requires kids to have been through a hunt safe class. Gun safety is brought up prior to shooting trap. Safety is brought up again before and during a pointing dog demo with pigeons - pointed-approached-shot if safe to do so and retrieved.
Then in the field the dog handlers are in charge and again safety first and foremost. Probably 20 such hunts like this and never 1 problem.
The kids are safer then almost any adult I have ever hunted with.

I wrote about this in a post last year titled something like "being shot".

I know a young woman volunteer who took a full frontal pattern of steel pellets on a youth pf hunt. Crazy deal. They're not even sure if the kid shot her or the dad. Thankfully she survived with no major health consequences other than the body scan at the airport looking funny. She still hunts, but no longer in large groups.

Weimdogman:
Just an analogy. Kids go thru driver ed. and learn all the safety issues, but do they follow them after they get their licenses? I'm glad you have had great success, we didn't.

Weimdogman:
Just an analogy. Kids go thru driver ed. and learn all the safety issues, but do they follow them after they get their licenses? I'm glad you have had great success, we didn't.
They most likely do with the drivers Ed teacher in the car.

Finished the morning with 1 rooster in the bag, and one more (probably dead bird) but could never recover.

The first kid shot his bird at about 8:15. First time he had ever shot at a pheasant, and the dogs put a rooster up about 10 yards in front of him, he shot twice and tilted it a bit, but it didn't go down. I watched it fly another 200 yards and it did the helicopter. Sent the dog after it and was able to track it down - pretty cool.

The next kid had a few so-so shots, but couldn't connect. Also passed on a couple of young roosters that he wasn't sure on - which I am glad because until they cackled I would have guessed hen as well.

Finally got a good flush for him on a big rooster and he connected twice, but the bird kept going and going. It never went down, but likely will not survive unfortunately.

All told, saw some good numbers, some good dog work, and the kids had fun.

I understand the 1 bird limit for youth hunters, however it is a bit frustrating for a first timer to shoot his first bird 15 minutes in and not be able to hunt the rest of the morning. He would have had one or two more very nice shots at roosters. I'm not sure how you'd go about it, but I would support a 2 rooster youth limit on private land while keeping the public land limit at 1 bird. I'm guessing the rationale for 1 bird limit is to protect some of the more limited public land opportunities to kill roosters in many areas of the state where a good number of roosters on a given property (like eastern Iowa) could potentially be shot in one weekend by experienced youth hunters bagging a 3 bird limit of "young and dumb" birds.

We had the kids out at our farm to hunt, and honestly I get just as much enjoyment watching someone else bag a bird on our ground as myself. The dogs certainly do not care!

I would rather watch my dogs work to get new or inexperienced hunters get birds then to ever shoot 1 myself. Some of my dog buddies don't understand my not wanting to shoot birds unless they miss. I guess they have never had a season where they shot their last 70 birds with 70 shells.🙂

I was 23 years old hunted everyday behind solid bird dogs. Most birds came out from underfoot out of cattail sloughs. 12 gauge 870 24" barrel with a polychoke set to wideopen. #4 lead shot. No need to rush a shot,no need to take a flyer.

I probably missed 70 shots last year so I am human.

If you dropped 70 birds with 70 shots, in the same season, I think it is a "lead pipe lock" that no one else here has ever done that....and never will. Not one in 70 snuck through the pattern and needed a second shot. You win any further conversations regarding shooting pheasants. My shooting has gotten MUCH better than when I was in my 20s & 30s, I was/am a slow learner. You are better at shooting pheasants than anyone I have ever hear of...quite impressed I am! If you are ever in my neck of the woods (on a weekend or holiday in season), I would like to take the legend out for a quick limit. Seriously.

Bad news, there was a hunting accident up around the Iowa Great Lakes area over the weekend. Not sure if it was youth/mentor pheasant hunt or high school kids duck hunting (is there a duck season open now?). The news said he was a HS senior and they had done a story of him and 4 others who had rescued a dog and a person that had fallen through ice in February. They flew him to Sioux Falls for treatment.

Back