Youth Season

Well, we managed to get out one morning for the youth season. Went NW starting at 4am. After a two and a half hour drive and some breakfast we got to our spot. Public ground. ( I have a private farm I was planning on hunting too but thought I would get to the public to see what kind of bird numbers are there before all the adults get to it.) Anyway, we were the only truck at 6:45. But by 7 we were not alone. One guy got out and asked if I was hunting the area right in front of us. Well yeah, that's why Im parked here. Didnt say that but its what I was thinking. He said o.k. and got back in his truck. He then gets out before shooting light with his kid and dog and just stands right in front of our trucks. I thought, "no way". But yep, he looked at his watch, and took off with his kid and two labs. My daughter laughed. You could tell he was amateur and just wanting to get his kid out. So they take off and we take off after we see which way they are going. My young pup is running like she's in an olympic relay race. It's not long before the two vizslas lock up tight. The young setter comes in for a look, it takes her a bit but finally backs the other two. Walk in. Pretty good size covey of quail get up. She shoots one. Misses on the second shot. I see a few pheasants getting up on the gunshot but well out of range. Piper the young vizsla retrieves it to hand. Look u and I see the young setter birdy and about 5 seconds later my older vizsla locks up in front of her. the other two dogs immediately stop. We stomp, and stomp, and finally a big ole rooster rolls out. Daughter smoked it with one shot. We look back and we can barely see the truck, but its not 8 oclock yet. We start to turn the corner and two hens flush wild and another rooster. Its already about 70-75 degrees and rising. the dogs pointed another covey of quail that got up a little in front. She missed on the rise but got 2 singles on two very nice points. I wasn't paying attention on the drive up. Guess my charger wasnt plugged in and phone went dead after the first picture at the beginning. We turn the corner and I can see the same guy from this morning and his kid walking toward us from about a half mile off. We are headed back toward the truck and we are getting into some tall ragweed patches. My old dog starts to get a little birdy when a couple of hens and two roosters flush wild. Right about the time I say "too far", the little girl shoots and crumples the closest rooster! Could not believe it. She took it from the pup and put it in her pocket. I looked down, it was 9 oclock and 78 degrees. We talked about it but decided to stop at 3 on the quail and since she had her limit of roosters, decided to call it. As we were walking back to the truck the other guy and kid stopped us and asked to hunt with us. I said, "We are all done, Sorry." Had he asked at the beginning of the morning I would have gladly done that. Especially with all the ground to cover. He said all they saw were 2 hens. Heard a few more gunshots in the area but not many. We were back home by noon and she was in the deer stand by 3:30. Got her an 8 pointer the next day. Pretty good weekend for the little girl.

Last edited:
That's awesome! It is really great to hear there are wild pheasants in Missouri. Just where we are, it's unheard of. I am excited to try some spots later in the season for some wild pheasant!

It is common practice at that area for hunters to line up in front of their vehicles. Once I arrived and there were 30 guys in a line by the parking lot. We took our spots and the end of line. Everyone walks straight away. The guy was being polite for asking your direction.

I'll have to quit telling my buddy he shoots like a girl.

How are those areas later in the season...I mean, bird wise and crowds? I don't want to go when it is super busy with a ton of people. I am sure there are not tons of birds, but I am all about working for some. I am going to have to get online and find the public access areas!

Early in the season, birds are young and dumb. Easy pickens. You will find birds later in the season. These roosters have learned to run from hunters and dogs. Wait til bitter cold/snowy weather and they won't run so much.

Early in the season, birds are young and dumb. Easy pickens. You will find birds later in the season. These roosters have learned to run from hunters and dogs. Wait til bitter cold/snowy weather and they won't run so much.

I appreciate that bit of info. I will be going by myself, with my ESS. He has been on some pheasant, just preserves and such. Not to prod too much, as I know most people are pretty partial to their hunting spots. But these are areas that are north of HWY 36, I presume? More found in the Northwest or Northeast? Just going to be traveling 4-5 hours and want to get in the right vicinity. Lastly, are these birds that Missouri has stocked or just truly wild birds. PM works too if you prefer as I feel bad for hijacking Pheasant Whisper's post. :( To the original poster, again...congrats to you and daughter on a good season opener!

North of 36. I believe pheasant numbers are down this year. Their hatch was during a dry period in May/June. Turkey down too. Quail are up. These should be good from NW to NE.

I'll be doing my pheasant hunting in Kansas. In Missouri go quail hunting and if your lucky you'll get a rooster.

I didnt really care that the guy lined up in front of my truck. And I was not rude to him. And would have hunted with him and his son if my daughter didnt already have her limit. The heat was a little unbearable too for me and the pups. They were the only other ones there. But I bet on adult season its way more packed. To answer the other question: Pheasants are in pockets. Ive seen them close to I-70 but are more plentiful in the top two counties going across the very north part of the state. But again, up there they are in pockets. Quail are more plentiful and spread out. Pheasants are not. Look for corn fields with the darker colored soil like they have in Iowa and you will find pheasants. Milo is good too. Missouri does not stock birds to my knowledge.

Last edited:

The two roosters she shot were not young birds. Long, black, spurs and long tail feathers. Definitely carry over. Couldnt really tell on the hens getting up. But Id say yeah poor hatch but ok carry-over.

I didnt really care that the guy lined up in front of my truck. And I was not rude to him. And would have hunted with him and his son if my daughter didnt already have her limit. The heat was a little unbearable too for me and the pups. They were the only other ones there. But I bet on adult season its way more packed. To answer the other question: Pheasants are in pockets. Ive seen them close to I-70 but are more plentiful in the top two counties going across the very north part of the state. But again, up there they are in pockets. Quail are more plentiful and spread out. Pheasants are not. Look for corn fields with the darker colored soil like they have in Iowa and you will find pheasants. Milo is good too. Missouri does not stock birds to my knowledge.

Thank you again for the guidance. Last night I was looking at the conservation areas in the Northwest Regions and some were listing good populations. My mom's family is from Centerville, IA - just north of Unionville, MO. I might have to go up towards the north part of the state in the center and see what I kind of luck I have on a visit up to Iowa.. Just debating on the far northwest corner or the farthest point north of the state, right now. Very cool there are wild pheasant in MO.

Seems kinda silly standing out there when there are just the two parties. That was the last time I lined up with others. We did well that day.

Not much shooting opening day. Semi-crowded. Only lasted a little over an hour.

Back