Youth Pheasant Hunt

Road Runner

So does anyone have an opinion on pheasant numbers this year? My son and I are considering a trip to Idaho in the morning to see if he can get his first rooster. I have a few public spots around Burley where I have seen a few birds in the past but just wanted to know if anybody has been seeing anything.

Thanks

I will answer my own question. My son and I hunted all day 10/6/2013 we flushed approx. 20 pheasants. None of the roosters had enough color to identify as roosters but some of them cackled as they took off. My son being a first year hunter never seemed to be in the right position to even take a shot as the birds were flushing. We never saw a single quail or Hungarian partridge even though we hunted some spots that held pretty good populations last year. Much of the cover was so dry that every step produced a dust cloud. It looks like a tough year on some of the upland ground I like to hunt.

I was pleased to see the pheasants that we did see. But some of my better spots in the past were completely barren. I hope that some of the birds found some place to survive or it will be a long long time before any of those spots will be worth anything.

Did anyone else get a chance to take a kid hunting? Any observations out there?

Spent another day in the field on Saturday Oct 26. We found one large covey of Quail 30+ birds and two small coveys of huns. No pheasants but we were really not in their preferred habitat. Had a nice day got some shooting in. What more could a guy ask for?

how

Spent another day in the field on Saturday Oct 26. We found one large covey of Quail 30+ birds and two small coveys of huns. No pheasants but we were really not in their preferred habitat. Had a nice day got some shooting in. What more could a guy ask for?
How about some wild Pheasants! :)

Back