youth opener plans

I know most of you won't be responding to this post, but season is approaching and I don't want to think or talk about anything but pheasant hunting. I work in a factory and long for the first day I can legally chase the wily ones.

The youth opener is only 18 days away. It provides an opportunity to see what bird numbers are like in different parts of the state, while helping to secure the future of our sport. I plan to take 2 13-year olds and an 11-year old out this year. It looks like we might be going to Cedar Bluff wildlife area south of Wakeeney, then working our way south and east hunting WIHA after that going no further than Otis/Bison. I'm sure we will have 6 birds in the bag long before we get to Rush county, but the kids can legally shoot 12 quail also, which could easily take up the remainder of the day's shooting hours;)

I've never hunted Cedar Bluff wildlife area, so if anyone wants to share information in a PM, please do. My regular opening day group will not be returning to the same area, so your information will only benefit the kids. I'm sure there will be plenty of milo fields there, and I don't expect much resistance from landowners, so I'll be teaching the youngins how to ask for permission.

At any rate, I think it is going to be another wonderful season. There are so many public hunting opportunities in KS and quite a few birds in some places. Best of luck to everyone! I hope those of you who have the chance will chose to get a youth involved for our benefit and theirs!!! CAN'T WAIT TILL MINE ARE OLD ENOUGH TO HUNT!!!!!!!

Last edited:
i agree the kansas youth hunt is a tremendous opportunity to introduce a young shooter to this wonderful sport. And all the public lands haven't even been hunted on yet so whenever we go out we see tons of birds and they always bag their limit. Take advantage of this if you have a young teenager.

Back