Your favorite magazine for upland hunting

Patrick, Speaking of Fur Fish and Game.

Waaay back in the mid to late 80's I wrote feature articles for Fur Fish and Game. Kinda fun thinking back. :)

Brother Bob and Me, I'm the wildman on the right.

Last edited:
Patrick, Speaking of Fur Fish and Game.

Waaay back in the mid to late 80's I wrote feature articles for Fur Fish and Game. Kinda fun thinking back. :)

Brother Bob and Me, I'm the wildman on the right.

Thats way cool!

I've all but forgotten about fur fish and game. Used to love to read that but kind of went away from it for some reason. I buy a PDJ from time to time. The only one I recieve is DU.

I used to subscribe to quite a few but have found that alot of the articles seem to be the same ole thing.

F-f-g

F-F-G led my brother to a book called The School Boy Trapper, which in turn led to a lot of dead animals over the last forty years. I always loved the cover art. Wayne did you write about a specific type of hunting? That's really cool that was your employer.
1997November_zps6baf30e7.jpg

I was free lance, sort of. Fur Fish and Game was one of the few magazines where you could send them a manuscript and they would buy it or not and you didn't need to sell or promote a product. That is very unusual now days.

$1-2 hundred per article. F,F&G buys all rights. You don't know when or if they use it. Sometimes in a couple months sometimes 2 years later.

I wrote for the fun of it, I like critters and their habitat.
Pheasants, Grouse, Deer, MD and WT and Elk.
To make a living in outdoor writing now days You have to be sponsored and everything you write has to be about promoting products.
You have to be more of a salesman then and outdoorsman.

Some of ya'all spend way too much time on the crapper! ;)

I just can't stand the over abundance of ads and product pimping in magazines these days. Gun Dog didn't used to be like that.
I don't subscribe to any of them anymore, except the ones that come with a membership to an organization.
I've never looked at a Gray's. But, it sounds like I might enjoy it.

I subscribed to Traditional Bowhunter for years, and I always thought they had the best format. 4-5 hunting stories, maybe a history article, and maybe a "how to", type article. Entertaining and educational.

Membership magazines Pheasants Forever, DU, and American Hunter.
I have a subscription to Outdoor News and Minnesota Sporting Journal.
Once in awhile I will buy Shooting Sportsman, Upland Almanac or Gundog.
When I was in high school the library had Outdoor Life, Field and Stream,
and Fins and Feathers.
Today I wonder if any high school library has any outdoor magazines for
the students to read.

Membership magazines Pheasants Forever, DU, and American Hunter.
I have a subscription to Outdoor News and Minnesota Sporting Journal.
Once in awhile I will buy Shooting Sportsman, Upland Almanac or Gundog.
When I was in high school the library had Outdoor Life, Field and Stream,
and Fins and Feathers.
Today I wonder if any high school library has any outdoor magazines for
the students to read.

Way back when I was in Boy Scouts, our troop had a paper drive as a fund raiser. One guy dumped a whole pile of Outdoor Life's on us. This was back in the late 50's. I was sitting in the back of the big truck going through them when I discovered Jack O'Connor. I took the whole pile home with me and the rest is history. I've had a lifetime subscription to Gray's since the beginning in the mid-70's. Its good. I also like Sporting Classics and Shooting Sportsman.
Not sure high schools even have magazines any more. Its all digital now.

Back