Yahoo!

Whizbang

Ran into a guy I went to school with that I hadn't seen since around 1977, that farms south of Outlook, just west of Plentywood. He's got about 1200 acres of farm and coulees. Asked him about hunting up there, and he said anytime I wanted to just go. His place borders a farm I had hunted many years ago. Gave me all the relatives names and numbers, so now I have about 6 miles of continuous pheasant and hun hunting ground!!!!!

Yahoo!!:cheers:

Were you wearing name tags? :D

I wouldn't recognize anyone form the '70s, nor they would me.

enjoy-

I don't know about better than winning the lottery if I won the lottery I would have the money to buy all those acres for myself but it is a good deal

His dad called about an hour ago, and apologized for not getting the maps over to me at work. His dad and my dad played basketball together in Outlook in the early 40's turns out....stilll going wow! He's bringing the maps over tomorrow!

Unfortunately, since we were down in Tennessee the last 8 years, I haven't had a need for a good upland dog. Now things have changed, so will need to start looking for one to get trained up before this next year rolls around. This year, I'm just gonna have to find someone that has a dog that wants to get into some birds, otherwise I'll be doing lots of walking !

So, if any of you know of any dogs, even started or partially trained, post it up. Maybe if you are planning a trip to NE Montana, I can slide up there and we can get into some shooting!

A friend and I will be there leaving on the 17th from Calif. We'll have a Lab and a Wire Haired Pointer so you can see what the two types are like. I don't know how to send you any personal info or you to me w/o it being put up for the world. Other forums have personal mail between members. Is that available here too?
There's lots of Block Management Land in the area so there's no shortage of places to hunt besides your friends place.
This is the first dog I've had since I was a child and I'm 66 now. I've always hunted pheasants w/o a dog and every one is a trophy. I've jumped pheasants behind guys with dogs by being sooo slow in progressing through a field, being very observant and not taking more than 5 steps without stopping for a count of 3.
Pheasants have three ways to avoid you. Hide, Run, or Fly. They prefer to hide the most and fly the least because often a raptor will be on them before they land. They only run when there is noise from your walking or your dogs running and panting to hide their movement. Hunting with a dog allows it to run at will because it's so noisy. By walking and pausing you very frequently can hear them because they take a few steps after you stop before they realize it's quiet again. You have to have the patience of a monk to do it and simple tastes to enjoy it.

Last edited:
A friend and I will be there leaving on the 17th from Calif. We'll have a Lab and a Wire Haired Pointer so you can see what the two types are like. I don't know how to send you any personal info or you to me w/o it being put up for the world. Other forums have personal mail between members. Is that available here too?
There's lots of Block Management Land in the area so there's no shortage of places to hunt besides your friends place.
This is the first dog I've had since I was a child and I'm 66 now. I've always hunted pheasants w/o a dog and every one is a trophy. I've jumped pheasants behind guys with dogs by being sooo slow in progressing through a field, being very observant and not taking more than 5 steps without stopping for a count of 3.
Pheasants have three ways to avoid you. Hide, Run, or Fly. They prefer to hide the most and fly the least because often a raptor will be on them before they land. They only run when there is noise from your walking or your dogs running and panting to hide their movement. Hunting with a dog allows it to run at will because it's so noisy. By walking and pausing you very frequently can hear them because they take a few steps after you stop before they realize it's quiet again. You have to have the patience of a monk to do it and simple tastes to enjoy it.

Talked to another old friend up there and I can hunt their farms too, so that well over 6000 acres between the two farms. There is alot of CRP up there, and with the block management, yes there are alot of opportunities. Been hunting pheasants about 40 years now, and this looks to be as good a year as ever. They're still putting grain up as of last week, so there is a huge food source for the birds.

Back