Would putting a food plot here help.

moellermd

Super Moderator
I have the opportunity to rent an acre of ground next to these two sloughs. The one to the east south east is huge roughly 20 acres you can't get the birds to fly, they just run around you and it is so thick and tall it can become a death march. The north west one is probably closer to an acre and very huntable. Do you think it would help the hunt-ability , ie get the birds to come out of the big slough to the food plot.
The sloughs are outlined in red and and the little blue letters in the NW corner would be the proposed food plot.

slougha.jpg

What you going to plant in it? You definitely got the right idea. My brother farms next to 160 acre wildlife area and I want to do the same thing. There were birds all over the place combining corn easy limits. What kind of rent do you have to pay?

Still trying to figure out what to plant. I only have access to traditional type planters. I have to find out how the planter would like sorghum. Still working on a price, but the ground is wet so that should help.

Also in this scenerio would it be better to have space in between the food plot or right next to the cover. If so how far apart.

Last edited:
Hell, build yourself a pit blind in between the two sloughs, get some pheasant decoys, and a pheasant call. Those labs will be dog tired from all the retrieves they'll be making. Better get a new gun with 30" barrel.

Still trying to figure out what to plant. I only have access to traditional type planters. I have to find out how the planter would like sorghum. Still working on a price, but the ground is wet so that should help.

Also in this scenerio would it be better to have space in between the food plot or right next to the cover. If so how far apart.

We used a traditional planter before and just put in the sorghum plates. Worked real go to no till it in. Might have to make several passes to narrow down the row width. I like 6-15 inch rows. Broadcast and disking in works too.

We used a traditional planter before and just put in the sorghum plates. Worked real go to no till it in. Might have to make several passes to narrow down the row width. I like 6-15 inch rows. Broadcast and disking in works too.

We do not have meters for sorgum. What seeding rate do you go for? How well does broadcasting work? Is it a pain to walk in?

Looks like an area of little cover other then sloughs. You planting a feeding area with great cover will hold some birds. And with the big slough there will always be a supply of pheasants close by. Milo is good. I don't see why broadcasting in worked up soil wouldn't work well. Might be hard to walk in but without rows pheasants would hold better.

Control the weeds for a good crop.

When you hunt your acre, work it in the opposite direction of the big slough.:thumbsup:

When I was little farmers around here would use endgate seeders and spead just about every type of food for pheasant known to man. Sorgum worked real good dont disc it to deep. Farmers here would mow trails in it to make hunting it easier.:)

would it be possible to plant on se corner of big slough so it doesn't blow full of snow? looks like you might be able to approach that area with out being seen by all the birds.

We do not have meters for sorgum. What seeding rate do you go for? How well does broadcasting work? Is it a pain to walk in?

6-10 lbs per acre. Fertilize and use some Lariat herbicide. This is key to quality and attractability.

The first year I did food plots I dod not know what the ehck I was doing and used a ATV disk and broadcast seeder. Put it in about April 1st not know soil temp mattered. Came up really good though.

would it be possible to plant on se corner of big slough so it doesn't blow full of snow? looks like you might be able to approach that area with out being seen by all the birds.

Nope different guys ground. I can hunt it but no food plot.

Back