Worried about my Lucy.

Rogue Hunter

Any thoughts are appreciated:

English Setter, 6 yrs old last week:
-three months late on her heat cycle, though it did start +/-ten days ago. However, for the last 3-4 days:
-she's not eating or drinking much at all,
-very lethargic in ALL her movements.
-usually "bugs me" every 2 hours to go outside and pee, but now, only when I encourage her to go out.
-losing strength in her hind legs to the point that she can't jump up on the tailgate of the truck or onto the bed in the house, also slow/hesitant (again, hind legs) going down fight of steps...I'm helping her, both on and off now.

I'm not sure this is related to her heat cycle....haven't noticed this during previous heat cycles.

Again, any thoughts are appreciated.

Stephen

I’d go to the vet and get X-ray and make sure there’s not an infection in the spine. This happened to a past dog of mine and instead of sending labs to kstate and waiting on results the vet got aggressive and treated her for both bacterial and fungal infection. No doubt saved her life.
Look at

Diskospondylitis​

Not trying to alarm you but I’d be at the vet asking if this or something similar is a possibility. My dog was less than 2 when she got her spinal infection.

Here is the other tick disease (Lyme vax doesn't protect) that can be devastating to dogs.

Anaplasmosis is an illness you get from bacteria (Anaplasma phagocytophilum) spread by ticks. It usually causes flu-like symptoms, like fever, headache and muscle aches. If you’re not treated quickly or have a weakened immune system, you might progress to severe symptoms and complications.

Last edited:
On top of the underlying issue, she is likely severely dehydrated. Whatever the cause, you have a sick dog on your hands. I would get her to a vet ASAP.

On a side note, take her temperature if you can.

Got into the vet, 6:00PM Saturday. She's OK. I guess her reaction to the heat cycle changes each time...this time it was more discharge, extremely tired, and off her food. Vet did an ultrasound (all good inside) and tested for tick borne diseases (all negative).

She was off her food for 2-3 days, so I made her white rice and canned chicken today and her scarfed it right up. Maybe had something to do with her regular kibble...Victor, Performance.

I had kept her intact as I thought at some point I might breed her. But, she's six yrs, now. So, today, I've decided to have her spey in July. Should be really to hunt by Sept/Oct.

Thanks for all the input,
Stephen

Got into the vet, 6:00PM Saturday. She's OK. I guess her reaction to the heat cycle changes each time...this time it was more discharge, extremely tired, and off her food. Vet did an ultrasound (all good inside) and tested for tick borne diseases (all negative).

She was off her food for 2-3 days, so I made her white rice and canned chicken today and her scarfed it right up. Maybe had something to do with her regular kibble...Victor, Performance.

I had kept her intact as I thought at some point I might breed her. But, she's six yrs, now. So, today, I've decided to have her spey in July. Should be really to hunt by Sept/Oct.

Thanks for all the input,
Stephen
Glad you had good news.

So Wednesday, and Lucy wasn't improving; more blood flow than spotting, blood turned real red, and not eating at all. Got an emergency appointment with my regular vet. Vet did blood work and ultrasound. Bloodwork reveled white cell count was over the top limit. Vet said most likely a uterus infection (increase/red blood flow). So, Vet removed uterus and ovaries, and I picked Lucy yesterday at noon. Lucy is doing good...eating and taking meds. I walked her a couple city blocks and back, this A.M. I have her on white rice and canned chicken which makes it easier to give meds than kibble.

Guess we'll still be really come October; long way around the barn, though!

So Wednesday, and Lucy wasn't improving; more blood flow than spotting, blood turned real red, and not eating at all. Got an emergency appointment with my regular vet. Vet did blood work and ultrasound. Bloodwork reveled white cell count was over the top limit. Vet said most likely a uterus infection (increase/red blood flow). So, Vet removed uterus and ovaries, and I picked Lucy yesterday at noon. Lucy is doing good...eating and taking meds. I walked her a couple city blocks and back, this A.M. I have her on white rice and canned chicken which makes it easier to give meds than kibble.

Guess we'll still be really come October; long way around the barn, though!
My old female Vizsla had to have an emergency hysterectomy too some years ago and she recovered quickly. They can go down hill quickly, so it's good you dealt with it proactively.

Back