Worn

What keeps me coming back

A bit of a similar essay I wrote a few years back and shared here.

Another day hunting the seemingly desolate hills that wild chukar haunt has me asking myself, "what keeps me coming back?"

Let's start off with what I know its not. Full game bags? Nope didn't pull a feather today. Comradery? Not even my brother likes hitting the hills with me. Do I do it for my dog? No, these hills aren't a springers forte. This kind of hunting is more suited for an all age type pointer. The occasional covey of quail is nice but I could move far more birds in a more hospital location.

So what is it? The sheer vastness of these hills, where you could walk all day long for weeks and barely scratch the surface? The creosote that's among the oldest living things on the planet who witnessed the first introductions of chukar and cheat? The bur sage concealing a road runner from sight? The seldom witnessed flight of said road runner? The last strong hold of our San Jaquine kit fox who will give you a glimpse if you're lucky? Or is it the pip of that quail covey at the bottom of that canyon, or that siren song "chuk chuk chuk chuk chhuukkaarr" coming from the next ridge over?

Yes these are the things that keep me coming back for more punishment, and I'll be back every chance I get.

That was a great story.

I think I go out in search of an adventure, and call it "hunting". No mountains in Kansas, but I like my area here in the flinthills because there are places that feel very wild and untouched, and once in a while I find a covey here.

There's one place I go that I don't even call it hunting anymore,,, just tell my wife I'm going to run the dogs. I fire a shot about 1/4 trips there, max, but it's a pretty place. Multiple creek crossings and almost never see another hunter. And big enough I can walk as far as I want before looping back towards the vehicle.

If it ever ceased to be public hunting, I would be devastated. I don't hunt the mountains, but I get it. I totally, 100% get it.
:cheers:

I'm glad you enjoyed it Toad. You don't need to have ever climbed a mountain to get it, our public lands are our treasure and should never be in the cross hairs of our representatives. We pay the price of admission with sweat equity and boot leather and if anyone is willing to invest they are yours to be had, whether its a mountain or a swamp or anything in between. The U.S. has something that others envy, "the freedom to go".

Great stuff from that group. I stumbled upon it and consumed all their writing in about a week. This one especially speaks to the heart.

All my trips, its all adventure. There are a lot of places you can walk all day, stay a few days and not see another hunter or human being.
How bad do you want an adventure, you can do it, not dream it. :thumbsup:

Great story,, One that I have yet to experience, but yet, completely understand..(I think) :)

There are also some other great stories on this page.

I really needed the laugh about the "No Tell Motel" today.

Thanks for sharing..

Back