Woodcock Hunting.

I remember seeing Woodcock for the first time in the U.P. Where they were located the trees were so thick that the birds had to fly straight up say 30' to clear them. Then they would leave the area. It was like they were shot out of a cannon, lol.

That is what makes them so cool to hunt. They really don't fly that fast. Nothing compared to a grouse if I can remember correctly. they also normally don't fly that far on the first flush. Maybe on average 30-40 yards on first flush. We almost always can watch where they go and land and then reflush them. Our rule is if they get away two times, they win and we don't pursue them anymore.

That is what makes them so cool to hunt. They really don't fly that fast. Nothing compared to a grouse if I can remember correctly. they also normally don't fly that far on the first flush. Maybe on average. Yes they are30-40 yards on first flush. We almost always can watch where they go and land and then reflush them. Our rule is if they get away two times, they win and we don't pursue them anymore.
John, That is funny. If you don't hit them on the second flush, leave them. They are definitely slower than Grouse, but fun to hunt. They are great birds for young dogs to work on.

Woodcock vs. Snipe. Have any of you hunted Snipe and Woodcock? I'm wondering if Snipe taste similar to Woodcock.

We have access to lots of public land in WI. State, county and federal lands open to hunting and plenty of fishing available. Middle two weeks in October are usually the best for woodcock migration. Prime forest colors also.
Coat woodcock breasts in Cajun spices and deep fry, very tasty.

Woodcock vs. Snipe. Have any of you hunted Snipe and Woodcock? I'm wondering if Snipe taste similar to Woodcock.
My big brothers took me snipe hunting when I was about six. I stooped over that creek holding an open grass sack for what seemed like hours! After dark a mile from the house! My mom was so pissed!!

I have actually seen a guy on another site and he exclusively hunts Snipe in Florida.
I never targeted them, but did shoot quite a few. They do taste like woodcock but the breasts are about the size of a spatsy. If I was hunting with someone else I wouldn't let them shoot them because they would stay so low when flushed. Almost always were in or at the edge of water.

Back