Women Can Hunt

BritChaser

Fellas, let's get some women who hunt posting in here and let's try to get more females involved in hunting. Dads who have daughters, I'm sure you encourage them to hunt. Let's hear from them about their hunting experiences. I have taken three lady friends pheasant hunting over the years, and all enjoyed the experience although none actually hunted. They enjoyed being in the field, walking in the line, and seeing the dogs and the action. Although unsaid, I think they viewed men with guns who accomplished something with them as somehow attractive, a form of competency they had never seen in a man before. By the way, I shot very well when I had a lady friend along. Go figure. You shoot a pheasant and then prepare a delicious pheasant meal for a lady all in a quiet way, you have done something that comparatively few men have ever done and probably made a deep impression by doing so.

Last edited:
PF Journal has Article Promoting Women Hunting

Fellas, let's get some women who hunt posting in here and let's try to get more females involved in hunting. Dads who have daughters, I'm sure you encourage them to hunt. Let's hear from them about their hunting experiences. I have taken three lady friends pheasant hunting over the years, and all enjoyed the experience although none actually hunted. They enjoyed being in the field, walking in the line, and seeing the dogs and the action. Although unsaid, I think they viewed men with guns who accomplished something with them as somehow attractive, a form of competency they had never seen in a man before. By the way, I shot very well when I had a lady friend along. Go figure. You shoot a pheasant and then prepare a delicious pheasant meal for a lady all in a quiet way, you have done something that few men have ever done and probably made a deep impression by doing so.

Just days after this post, my new PF Journal arrived with an article promoting women hunting. Check it out.

Last edited:
There's nothing better than being able to have the girls around. A good pointing dog, that handles well, allowing you and the girls to walk the trails. My daughters grew up tagging along with me on hunts like that. But then the dance studio took precedence and they stopped going. However, they still know how to shoot, as evidenced by their skill in knocking down clays during a family get together at Easter. Now that they are in college it's even tougher for them to be along. My wife comes along on occasion, but would rather be curled up with a good book by a warm fireplace on those cool, damp fall days. And all 3 enjoy the game I bring to the table.

Britchasher, I should most likely know, But what is the PH Journal and does one get it?.....Bob

Britchasher, I should most likely know, But what is the PH Journal and does one get it?.....Bob

Sorry, a typo. I meant PF Journal - Pheasants Forever Journal -- which you know all about, I am sure.

Brit Chasher yes, I do thank you for the info.....Bob

I'm working on it...... When I met my wife she had never met a hunter. She had never eaten wild game. She basically thought it was some kind of a redneck activity that only lowlife backwoods neanderthals did. Then, she had the mistfortune of faling in love with THIS backwoods neanderthal (lol!) so she had to get used to the idea! SInce that time, we've come a long way. I love cooking wild game, and my personal philosophy is that I owe harvested wild animals a dept of gratitude, which I pay by treating them with the respect that they deserve at the dinner table. As a result, some of our fanciest meals are made with wild game, and she moved slowly from refusal to eat it, to a reluctant wild game eater, to an enthusiastic participant in cooking and eating wonderful, tasty, organic wild meats! Two years ago she came along on a few grouse hunts, which I picked on nice bright dry falls days when teh leaves were in full blush of autumn. This served two purposes. SHe realised what a nice activity hunting is (under those conditions anyways! lol!) and she got to see the dog in action, realising that THIS is what she LIVES for. She also got to see me shoot a few grouse, and learned that it is not some easy "slaughter" but actually a very difficult 'fair chase' activity, with each harvested animal being a very had-earned prize! This is basically where we're at now. She has no interest in waterfowling (and I don't blame her - it's not a spectator sport!) but will come along on the finest of fall days for upland hunts. She is not traumatized by the sight of a bird being harvested, and loves to see the dog at work. The thing that we have really not yet overcome is her refusal to have anything to do with guns. As most of you know, the public perception of guns in Canada is quite different from the US public, and it's a real chore for sportsmen here to overcome the "knee-jerk" reaction that guns are these deadly "weapons" that will go off and kill people at time you look at them!:mad: Slowly, very slowly, she is getting used to seeing them handled and used safely and I can see definite improvements in her comfort level around guns. I know my wife well enough not to push the idea of her shooting one. I'm much better off to let her come to it on her own. If she never does, well she never does, that's OK with me. Next month I'm going back "home" to my sister's wedding and will recover my old .22 from my Dad's guncase to bring it home, as well as my old pellet gun (right now, all that I have in the house are 12 gauges and a 30-06, not exactly good "first shoot" guns!). My plan is to invite her along once in a while when I go target shooting, in the hopes that she'll express interest on her own to plink a few tin cans with the pellet gun, then maybe the .22, then.... who knows what the future holds?!
I did help to get my buddy and his wife into shooting/hunting, and watched her shoot her first rooster and first duck over my dog in 2007. Later that season, he managed to shoot his first birds too (she's a much better wingshot than he is! lol!). She's now a very enthusiastic hunter and they spend a lot of time at it. I must admit, I'm a little jealous, but I'm happy for him anyways!
-Croc

Many years ago, right after we were married. I wanted my wife to be my hunting partner on occasion. I married the Farmer Daughter, her Father, Mother and brother hunted so I thought MAYBE. So I bought her a Pump 20 gauge shotgun. Took her to the Trap Range and got her into shooting the 20 gauge. When she got so she could hit some of them after a few trips. Then when Pheasant Season came and I took her hunting with me. We had a GSP and he was a great Dog. We were working a picked corn field. Brandy the GSP went on point right in front of her. I told her in a calm voice "simply walk up close to Brandy and tell him to flush." This she did. Brandy went down with his nose and lifted the bird into the air for her. He just did that I did not train him, it was a natural thing. Anyway the Rooster takes off chakeling in all his glory. Shirl just stands there with her gun at port arms position. I screamed "shoot honey." She screamed back, "he's to pretty to shoot!!!" She then walks over and hands me the gun. I asked "Where are you going?" She answered, "Back to the truck." I said take the gun with you I cannot shoot 2." So much for my wife being my hunting partner......Bob

So much for my wife being my hunting partner......Bob
LOL, thanks for the story Bob - if I'm not mistaken, you recently celebrated a milestone anniversary (I don't wnat to risk embarassing myself by trying to remember which one it was), but in any case, the lack of a wife=hunting partner doesn't seem to have hurt your marriage any! Same here - if she comes with a few times a year without a gun, well so be-it, but after seeing one woman turn into a feather-thirsty rooster killer, I gotta at least try! lol!
-Croc

Croc. you are thinking of my 53rd Wedding Anniversary. It was May 12 not that long ago......Bob

I haven't been able to get any females to come hunting with me, yet...

I've got my wife to the range years ago. She doesn't go too often, mainly to give me my free space, but she does come with me and has her own license.
I just took my niece to the range, and she's informed me that I have a shooting partner for life now. Maybe I'll be able to get her into the woods, but so far we've just used handguns (she's great with a .22, but you should see her face LIGHT UP when she touched off a .357 - all 80 pounds of her was smile!).
My daughter just turned one - so maybe in a couple years.

Good Replies About Women Hunting

Thanks to all for your interesting responses. The New York Times carried a hunting article last winter featuring five Mississippi women who go duck hunting together every year along the river. They call themselves, just for fun, the Swamp Witches. It was a half-page article with several large photos.

One of my female hunting companions was a Russian who grew up there in the soviet era. She had no fear nor hesitation about guns because at that time every Russian high school student, girls and boys, went through a mild military boot camp during summer break where they learned the AK-47, infantry maneuvers, and rode inside a tank. She referred to my .30-06 as a sniper rifle. She enjoyed seeing a pheasant knocked decisively out of the sky onto a pretty prairie field and then dining on it later. She also advised against shooting certain grouse because they were "teeny tiny little bullsh***y birds" as she put it. Memorable times.

Last edited:
Future Female Hunters

I haven't been able to get any females to come hunting with me, yet...

I've got my wife to the range years ago. She doesn't go too often, mainly to give me my free space, but she does come with me and has her own license.
I just took my niece to the range, and she's informed me that I have a shooting partner for life now. Maybe I'll be able to get her into the woods, but so far we've just used handguns (she's great with a .22, but you should see her face LIGHT UP when she touched off a .357 - all 80 pounds of her was smile!).
My daughter just turned one - so maybe in a couple years.

Good for you trying to interest the females in your family in hunting.

Nice Story

I'm working on it...... When I met my wife she had never met a hunter. She had never eaten wild game. She basically thought it was some kind of a redneck activity that only lowlife backwoods neanderthals did. Then, she had the mistfortune of faling in love with THIS backwoods neanderthal (lol!) so she had to get used to the idea! SInce that time, we've come a long way. I love cooking wild game, and my personal philosophy is that I owe harvested wild animals a dept of gratitude, which I pay by treating them with the respect that they deserve at the dinner table. As a result, some of our fanciest meals are made with wild game, and she moved slowly from refusal to eat it, to a reluctant wild game eater, to an enthusiastic participant in cooking and eating wonderful, tasty, organic wild meats! Two years ago she came along on a few grouse hunts, which I picked on nice bright dry falls days when teh leaves were in full blush of autumn. This served two purposes. SHe realised what a nice activity hunting is (under those conditions anyways! lol!) and she got to see the dog in action, realising that THIS is what she LIVES for. She also got to see me shoot a few grouse, and learned that it is not some easy "slaughter" but actually a very difficult 'fair chase' activity, with each harvested animal being a very had-earned prize! This is basically where we're at now. She has no interest in waterfowling (and I don't blame her - it's not a spectator sport!) but will come along on the finest of fall days for upland hunts. She is not traumatized by the sight of a bird being harvested, and loves to see the dog at work. The thing that we have really not yet overcome is her refusal to have anything to do with guns. As most of you know, the public perception of guns in Canada is quite different from the US public, and it's a real chore for sportsmen here to overcome the "knee-jerk" reaction that guns are these deadly "weapons" that will go off and kill people at time you look at them!:mad: Slowly, very slowly, she is getting used to seeing them handled and used safely and I can see definite improvements in her comfort level around guns. I know my wife well enough not to push the idea of her shooting one. I'm much better off to let her come to it on her own. If she never does, well she never does, that's OK with me. Next month I'm going back "home" to my sister's wedding and will recover my old .22 from my Dad's guncase to bring it home, as well as my old pellet gun (right now, all that I have in the house are 12 gauges and a 30-06, not exactly good "first shoot" guns!). My plan is to invite her along once in a while when I go target shooting, in the hopes that she'll express interest on her own to plink a few tin cans with the pellet gun, then maybe the .22, then.... who knows what the future holds?!
I did help to get my buddy and his wife into shooting/hunting, and watched her shoot her first rooster and first duck over my dog in 2007. Later that season, he managed to shoot his first birds too (she's a much better wingshot than he is! lol!). She's now a very enthusiastic hunter and they spend a lot of time at it. I must admit, I'm a little jealous, but I'm happy for him anyways!
-Croc

Great information. Thanks for sharing.

I also got the lady out for the first time last year. I went and took the hunter safety class with her. We went and did a little trap before a preserve hunt that had me worried as she never even scratched one of the clays. The first rooster jumps up, I draw down and give it just a second to get out a little further and it explodes. She looks at me and says did you get that or did I? I said that it either was a poor suicide rooster or it was you as I never fired. That was all it took to hook her. Now she has about a dozen roosters and a half dozen canadian geese to her credit!

When my wife was little her mom never let her or her sister go hunting with her dad, or do much of anything outside for that matter. I told her when we started going out that if she wanted to see me in the fall she needed to learn to hunt or she would't see me from the beginning of September until after January 1. She started out by just going along and then tried shooting a little trap and now she goes with whenever she can. Last year at 5 months pregnant she was stomping around in the snow with me at -14 chasing birds and having a good time. Now with the little one she won't be able to come along as much this year but she will still get out. We have a 4 month old son now so we will all be hunting and fishing together in the future.

Michael

My 10 year old daughter loves to hunt, she has taken a few deer but I havent got her behind a shotgun yet. She wants to, but I want her to get a little more weight on her before she startes bird hunting. However, I may fold to her pressure in the next month or two. She goes with me hunting every time she has a chance and loves watching the dogs work. We are looking at making a late season trip to SD this year, and she is bugging me to death to go. I would love for her to take her first pheasant behind her young Brittney.

Eager Huntress

My 10 year old daughter loves to hunt, she has taken a few deer but I havent got her behind a shotgun yet. She wants to, but I want her to get a little more weight on her before she startes bird hunting. However, I may fold to her pressure in the next month or two. She goes with me hunting every time she has a chance and loves watching the dogs work. We are looking at making a late season trip to SD this year, and she is bugging me to death to go. I would love for her to take her first pheasant behind her young Brittney.

Sounds like your girl is giving you a golden opportunity to get her further interested in the hunting tradition. Why wait? I saw a little 20 gauge single shot break action at a Walmart for $120. Perfect gun for a kid in her age range. I've read with bird hunting, which is an all day, many miles walking deal, the key with kids is to not push them if they say they are tired or are tired. Let them block if they want or if they get bored, let them do something else. No pressure to keep going. They just don't have the endurance nor have they fully developed that connection with nature they we adult hunters have.

Anyway, good luck with that great girl of yours. I am sure you are very proud of her interest in hunting.

my daughter

At 5 yrs old my daughter can reload shotgun shells,while spiting sunflowers seeds, and pulls for me while shoot skeet! start them out young? and in all honesty it would be great to have the fairer sex be more active both here and in the field!!

Back