Wisconsin dove hunting

1pheas4

I have a question about Wisconsin and the debate over dove hunting
(i.e. dove seasons, no dove seasons). My fiance is from Wisconsin. We were at a family function a couple of years ago and a guy was really upset that there was now a dove seaon in Wis. This really through me for a loop because I didn't realize it was illigal in years past.

My question is this; Why was dove hunting illigal in your state? :confused:

Thanks for any help. --1pheas4

Here is what I found

In 1971, the Wisconsin legislature designated the Mourning Dove as the stateâ??s official bird of peace and took the bird off the list of game species. In 2003, the Mourning Dove hunt ban was lifted.

TIME-LINE

2000 Dove hunt opponents bring lawsuits. (Wisconsin Citizens Concerned for Cranes and Doves), July 13, 2000

2001 - Dove hunting season on hold. Lawsuit rules DNR illegally set dove hunting season

2003 - Wisconsin Citizens Concerned for Cranes and Doves filed a lawsuit after the DNR scheduled a hunt, arguing that the Legislature never intended for the bird to be hunted.

2004 - Dove hunting opponents argue case to Supreme Court. Dove hunt goes forward while case is being decided. 202,000 Mourning Doves Killed in 2003. Supreme Court of Wisconsin upholds the Dove hunt, ruling that DNR has the power to allow the bird to be hunted.

Wow! What a mess. Glad to hear all is situated now. Morning doves are too tasty to give up on. :thumbsup: to the Wis. DNR for sticking to their "guns".

Thanks for the reply. I was really thrown for a loop as to how and why it was illigal to hunt those little guys--1Pheas4

Back