Winchester Rooster XR

SDJIM

A add in my new American Hunter magazine has an add for

WINCHESTER ROOSTER XR SHOTGUN AMMO: One of the selling points is as follows

"Greater penetration over standard lead loads beyond 50 yards." :(

Really--- encouraging hunters to shoot at pheasants at over 50 yards, hope your dogs are really good at finding wounded birds--just my 2 cents worth is that you should not as a general rule shoot at birds over 50 yards away--most of us can't hit them at over 50 yards.

Last edited:
distance

ya got that right. there are many studies that show wounding loss sky rockets past 40 yds. and past 45 yds. is nearing 40%.

cheers

What's truly sad is the guys who do not practice and are not knowledgeable about shotguns, loads, shooting, good dog work, and hunting tactics will try to "buy" their success and be blazing away at every rooster in sight.

"Beyond 50 yards" is not a good thing to promote to the masses.

Sermon over

The new buffer/resin winchester uses does pattern extremely tight judging by their new turkey loads but I'm not sure I see the point in pheasant loads and I do take some long shots. Maybe as a third shell I guess.

Close shots or far shots plenty of birds are lost shouldn't be.

A add in my new American Hunter magazine has an add for

WINCHESTER ROOSTER XR SHOTGUN AMMO: One of the selling points is as follows

"Greater penetration over standard lead loads beyond 50 yards." :(

Really--- encouraging hunters to shoot at pheasants at over 50 yards, hope your dogs are really good at finding wounded birds--just my 2 cents worth is that you should not as a general rule shoot at birds over 50 yards away--most of us can't hit them at over 50 yards.

I thought the XR's were only Turkey loads but now I see they make a similar load in Rooster XR. http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/new-rooster-xr-ammo.aspx
I imagine they are trying to compete with the Federal Prairie Storms. I see no need for either in the pheasant field. For the past 20 years or more the trend has been to go with a more open choke for roosters. A concept I strongly support. This just seems to go totally against the grain. I imagine these shells carry a nice price tag also???? A good 2 3/4 inch standard field load in 4, 5 or 6 shot through a 20 ga., 16 ga. or 12 ga. choked IC or Mod is all that is needed.

I thought the XR's were only Turkey loads but now I see they make a similar load in Rooster XR. http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/new-rooster-xr-ammo.aspx
I imagine they are trying to compete with the Federal Prairie Storms. I see no need for either in the pheasant field. For the past 20 years or more the trend has been to go with a more open choke for roosters. A concept I strongly support. This just seems to go totally against the grain. I imagine these shells carry a nice price tag also???? A good 2 3/4 inch standard field load in 4, 5 or 6 shot through a 20 ga., 16 ga. or 12 ga. choked IC or Mod is all that is needed.

Zeb, with my pointers I even find myself over-choked with IC with premium type loads. This year my 12 and 16 gauge doubles will have the SK or Cyl tubes on the open barrel followed by modified in the tight barrel. Like Datus Proper wrote in his beautiful book, "Pheasants of the Mind," cylinder choke is a sure cure for the "bang-bang-damns."

A good 2 3/4 inch standard field load in 4, 5 or 6 shot through a 20 ga., 16 ga. or 12 ga. choked IC or Mod is all that is needed.[/QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more!!!! :)

A good 2 3/4 inch standard field load in 4, 5 or 6 shot through a 20 ga., 16 ga. or 12 ga. choked IC or Mod is all that is needed.

I couldn't agree more!!! :)

Not Needed

Indeed, this type of ammo isn't often needed. Too tight. A couple years ago I patterned Prairie Storm out of a Skeet choke. It shot like a Super Full. So, unless you need this, save your money.

Getting folks to take fifty yard shots will definitely sell more shotgun shells for Winchester.

Last edited:
distance

my favorite rife is the .257, had one since I save up enough money from my paper route, try that today, anyway, it would shoot well over a mile, did I, no, with these new win. shell, you don't have to try it either. the real problem here as has been stated, trying to hit something at 50 yds that's moving when most people struggle at 35 yds. and two, ya can't have a great pattern at both distances so what is happening is at 35 yds you will get pheasant burger if you hit the target and at 50 yds. you get a lost bird. sounds like a bad deal to me, will it sell, maybe, is the pheasant better off, NO

cheers

Back