wild pheasant chasing riding lawnmower

Some get the brains, others get the beauty. And that is a beautiful bird!

Honestly birds are weird. Could be a territorial thing? I could never see that in my yard because my dogs would be all over it.

Last edited:
Wasnt there a thread in here somewhere abut a prairie chicken chasing cars down the road? Springtime maybe?

In spring and early summer when the hormone testosterone kicks in, some local wild roosters get a little "macho". I would suspect that this crazy pheasant was born nearby.

I would say that a wild pheasant chasing a riding lawnmower is not normal. But we have to remember that some wild pheasant don't perceive moving machines as predators. A farmer friend tells me that sometimes when riding a tractor pheasant sometimes stay close.

I remember years ago landing in a commercial plane in Goodland, Kansas (in early May) seeing wild pheasants in field along the runway. Taking off seeing wild pheasants 15 to 20 feet from the runway in the grass, and the loud jet engine did not scare them.

I would guess that these wild pheasants hatch close by in the field near the Goodland airport and heard the sound of planes since they were chicks.

My guess is that bird has learned that when you cut grass, you flush moths or other insects that he wants to eat. Next time you cut see if he gets any bugs.

My guess is that bird has learned that when you cut grass, you flush moths or other insects that he wants to eat. Next time you cut see if he gets any bugs.

Exactly what I was going to saw. I think he's using the mower to make his life easier.

Back