Why?

bobeyerite

This is an a actual article from my Newspaper writing days. I had a weekly column in a local paper called "The Outdoor Press." I thought the readers here might enjoy it.---Bob

WHY?

As I was arriving home, one Friday after work, I noticed my pickup/camper in the driveway. My wife was attaching the boat to it. I said, â??the family going camping this weekend?â?� She replied, â??No, you are, itsâ?? all packed and ready to go.â?�
When asked most outdoorsman will tell you various reasons for their love of the outdoors. Some will say it is to put meat on the table. Be it fish or other wild game. If that were the truth they would be better off going to the supermarket and buying top dollar steaks. That way they would save $20.00 a pound.
Some will say it for rest and relaxation. In some cases this is true, but for most others, well, I think my uncle put it best. â??If our bosses made us work this hard. We would tell them to take the job and shove it.â?�
For others it is in search of what is called the â??Macho Man Syndrome.â?� They want to get that thrill or rush from the hunt or fish. They could also want to show the world, they have the fiber and know-where-all to get the job done.
This reason is one we all want to share, is for the â??comradeship.â?� Yes, we all enjoy our friends, family and so forth. But even that is not the true reason we love the outdoors.
After a weekend in the outdoors have you ever noticed the change in you? What I mean is, you are going to work, yes, but even though you would rather be in the outdoors. The usual dread is not there? Why?
When we are in the outdoors, we are pursuing our favorite query. We have no time for the stress of our jobs. The war in Iraq and the other day to day problems of life and the world.
We need to shed all that and concentrate on the task at hand. If we are fishing we have to be so ever alert for that little hit. We wonder, was that a stone, weed or fish. We lift the rod very gently, feeling for the weight of the fish, so we can set the hook. Then, there is the smashing hit that could take the rod right out of our hands if weâ??re not fully in the game.
If you are after Big Game, you are always alert for movement, the breaking of a twig, any little thing that makes your blood warm. It may turn out to be nothing, but it is still enough to keep you at the height of your awareness.
If you are an upland enthusiast, like me, I enjoy just getting out. The dog work keeps me concentrating on what is going on around me. Was that weed movement a bird running or wind? Exactly where is the bird the dog is pointing? The dog is acting birdy, I wonder if it will run or flush wild?
As you can see when we are out in the outdoors, we have no other cares. We only care about what is happening here and now. Our Host â??Mother Natureâ?� has planned it that way. She is the cure for our problems, our mental health and our physical ills like heart attacks, surgery and the passing of a loved one. Yes, Mother Nature is the nurse for all these things and ever so much more.
Besides cleansing our minds and attitude, she refreshes our bodies with the elements that only the outdoors possesses. She sends us to camp or home after a day in the outdoors wanting the 3 hotâ??s, as I call it. Some hot food, a hot shower, and a warm comfortable bed. Have you ever had trouble getting a good night sleep after a good day outdoors? Of course not. This is WHY I was sent fishing alone. Why, we can go to work on Monday, renewed in both body and mind.

I know other sports like golf, tennis, back packing in the wilderness, to name a few, will produce Mother Natureâ??s wonderful work. We just have to give her the chance and she will do the rest.

Genesis 2 vs 15

15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it.

I should probably elaborate on this a little......

When I am working on the farm or cutting trees in the woods, I imagine what it might feel like to be in the garden of Eden and just hangin' with God like Adam did? I feel most connected when I am doing these things. Maybe that's what we were created for.

UGUIDE, I know where you are coming from. But in published print, you cannot use the name of the Lord. It is offensive to some people and violates their rights. So we writers have to improvise. That is why I used the name "Mother Nature." It is the accepted term for the Lords Outdoor Domain. It also offends no one.---Bob

UGUIDE, I know where you are coming from. But in published print, you cannot use the name of the Lord. It is offensive to some people and violates their rights. So we writers have to improvise. That is why I used the name "Mother Nature." It is the accepted term for the Lords Outdoor Domain. It also offends no one.---Bob

No offense intended Bobeyerite, I'm just simply quoting the best known documentation on the face of the earth.

Uguide, you may have misunderstood. I believe in the Lord. I was explaining what and why I wrote that article the way I did. I agree yours is the true way. But in a newspaper, I'd get shot at sunset.---Bob

Last edited:
Uguide, you may have misubderstood. I believe in the Lord. I was explaining what and why I wrote that article the way I did. I agree yours is the true way. But in a newspaper, I'd get shot at sunset.---Bob

Good to clarify, I understand the writer and audience have to be in sync. I think they used to call that wordsmithing or someting like that. We be cool.:thumbsup:

I should probably elaborate on this a little......

When I am working on the farm or cutting trees in the woods, I imagine what it might feel like to be in the garden of Eden and just hangin' with God like Adam did? I feel most connected when I am doing these things. Maybe that's what we were created for.

I agree Chris. Never trust a man who's never had dirt under his fingernails.

Back