Why so quiet??

Old Boots

So after stuffing myself on Thursday and digesting Friday, my dogs figured it was time to do something besides push back from the table and nap...... so this morning we loaded up and headed east.

After a few hours drive and knocking on several doors we were granted permission to hunt some wheat stubble and a tree row next to cut corn.

It looked promising and did not disappoint. Fifty yards off the road in the stubble my dog locked up solid. It took me a few minutes to waddle up to her, not sure if it was all the clothes, combined with the snow, or too much of Thanksgiving.....anyway I digress, I circled around her slowly and walked 2 steps toward her when a nice rooster flushed right toward me. One in the bag after a nice 180 degree spin by me and a nicer retrieve by Pepper. Good Dog!!!!

At this point I decided to get the other dog and hunt two as we were so close to the truck. Bowser is a Cocker Spaniel who has three solid seasons under his belt and a great nose. I put him on a check cord and back into the stubble we went. Pepper was ranging around hunting and Bowser and I were following her through the stubble. About 300 yards from the truck Pepper locks up again so Bowser and I make our way up to her and circle around in front again (40 yards). At this point I release the hound (Bowser) who starts going toward Pepper. 20 yards from Pepper, Bowser gets birdy and rushes in for the flush. Two roosters come up flying right to left....one drops and the other keeps flying towards Kansas.

We finished the field out and swung back toward the tree line where Pepper went on point again. I released Bowser and he went in and flushed two hens.
We finished out the tree line with no more birds and made it back to the truck.

I had planned on going to a WIA about 5 miles away but changed my mind. After a 40 minute hunt we saw and pointed 5 birds, bagged two and had a good romp for the dogs and to me, that's a great day!!

I hope everyone is having a Great Thanksgiving....I am thankful for the great state I live in!!

Old Boots

:cheers:

Nice hunt!

I've thought about taking Mick, the Springer, out with Tinker, the GWP-in-training, out together, but I don't have the optimism about the success of the hunt, especially since this is Tinker's first year of actually hunting birds.

I can also picture Mick dragging my old--er--"self" all over the field.

Nice combination of working the flusher with the pointing dog you have.:thumbsup:

Back