Why I prefer GaiaGPS instead of OnX

AKSkeeter

I have both GaiaGPS instead of OnX.
I use GaiGPS 99.95 of the time instead of OnX.

1) I like that GaiGPS uses a perimeter to outline public lands, unlike Onx which uses cross hatching;
GaiaGPS.jpg ONX.jpg

2) GaiGPS allows the user more many marker symbols and annotation for waypoints compared to ONX.
GaiGPS_waypoints.jpgONX_Waypoints.jpg
3) GaiGPS allows the user many more base maps including most recent satellite imagery, high res satellite imager, cell coverage, and
five different topo base maps. ONX has 3 base maps the user can choose from.
GaiGPS_BaseMaps.jpg

4) ONX allows the user to store in only one basic level of folders. GaiaGPS allows the user to store in multiple levels of folders.
ONX_Folders.jpgGAIGPS_Folders.jpg

5) GaiGPS for all 50 states is $40 per year, ONX is $100 per year.

Last edited:
What have you seen with GAIA in regards to updating land ownership and such after a sale happens? Also any way to pull ONX info like say points and such in to GAIA? Thanks

What have you seen with GAIA in regards to updating land ownership and such after a sale happens? Also any way to pull ONX info like say points and such in to GAIA? Thanks
Both GaiaGPS and ONX update land ownership at the same rate. You can import to Gaia from ONX fairly easily.
Here are the layers I found useful hunting in Alaska, North Dakota and Montana.
Gaia_Layers1.jpg
Gaia_Layers2.jpg
Gaia_Layers3.jpg

Gaia_Layers4.jpg

Thank you for the info. You’ve peaked my interest for sure. Does GIAI have a previous year crop overlay map? Found myself using that some this past year in areas we don’t hunt in as much. Thanks again.

Back