Who's goin Turkey huntin?

Me and the homeslice go out next week. Reports have been mixed. Some success but not a lot of sightings or morning gobbles the first two seasons.

Well, kicking a little dirt on this one. Got a nice bird but took 4 years of ammo to bring him down. 26 lbs. with a 10 inch beard. The problem was I thought I could be slick and keep my gun down on my lap when he came in (which by the way was first thing on opening day). He was all alone and responded to calls on the roost and came about 500 yards through a valley to my setup. Sauntered right up to the Jake decoy and proceeded to peck it on the head a couple times. I was enjoying the spectacle waiting for him to go full strut and spin around so I could get my gun on "the right side of the tree in front of me". He just turned away from the jake and then happened to notice me sitting in the woods just off cornfield. Remember the scene from Tombstone at the OK Corral? Who makes the first move? Me. I quickdraw McGraw from the hip and get 3 shots off. Busted both his back legs as he managed to take flight (man are turkeys quick or what?). He flew about a 1/4 mile down the valley and to my enjoyment crash landed in a corn field and I knew he wasn't going anywhere but he beat up his feathers quite well trying to run with no legs. I was excited about maybe getting him mounted but after coming to my senses I determined he was not a good candidate. It also took another shot to the head at close range to dispatch him.

My buddy did not connect this year but learned a lot about decoys and calling and hunting solo and had a couple toms interested in his spread. Turkey Camp was a huge success.

This has to be one of the ugliest turkey photos I have ever scene:eek:

DSC01259.jpg

Last edited:
Back