Which should i take?

fadetoblack188

I am going to do some pheasant hunting this weekend. This will be my second time out. I do not have a dog so i will be doing alot of walking and making alot of noise haha.

I have a benelli super sport, a benelli super black eagle2, a remington 1100 magnum ( fixed modified barrel ) , and a winchester 1300 pump.

Which one is most practical for the job? I would like to shoot the 1100 hundred because there is some sentimental value to it, but not sure if the magnum is the right frame for pheasants.

Which would you guys take to the field?

Mags not necessary for pheasants. With a single barrel, I'd want to shoot 2 3/4" shell with 1.25 oz. of no. 5s through an I/C unless it is windy.

If your going to do a lot of walking take the lightest gun that you soot well with. I would also consider if the choke can be changed, you never know if they flush wild on you or if you have to kick them out of the tall grass.

I know it makes no difference, but for me a gun in the uplands needs to be steel and walnut, 12ga and not to heavy. My Lefever Nitro Special comes to mind or my SKB 500. I know they're not made any longer but when you find one, they feel like they belong. Really though, it boils down to what makes you happy and what you can shoot well. Enjoy your hunt!

my choice of the group would be the 1100. You dont need 3 inchers to make the 1100 cycle. It will be just fine with 2 3/4. Make sure it is clean to start with. The gas operation leaves residue on the magazine tube that will eventually gunk up the mechanism. Its relatively easy to clean.

Take the backup shotgun of your choice..

my choice of the group would be the 1100. You dont need 3 inchers to make the 1100 cycle. It will be just fine with 2 3/4. Make sure it is clean to start with. The gas operation leaves residue on the magazine tube that will eventually gunk up the mechanism. Its relatively easy to clean.

Take the backup shotgun of your choice..

Not wanting to derail the thread, but are you sure about that? I've been haphazardly working on my buddies 1100, I can't get it to cycle 2 3/4" for nothing. Every now and then it will cycle 2 shells (not often), but never the 3rd round

The one that you shoot best.
If you want to use the 1100 then use it. Like others have said 1 1/4oz of 5s will work fine. I do shoot some 3" shells but that is only with steel shot. I'd never shoot 3" with lead shot, it's not needed.
Pick your shots and don't take Hail Marry shots.

Tim

Johnny use high brass rounds. The gas ports on the magnum sometimes don't allow the smaller rounds to cycle. If it won't cycle the high brass rounds you will need to buy a 2 3/4 barrel for the magnum receiver

I guess I'm lucky, my 1100 magnum will cycle anything I put through it. I've even shot sporting clays with Winchester Sporting Clay loads.

Back