Which Dog?

parkwood

I am looking for a new dog, previously had american labs, which were great in the field, but left a little to be desired at home(for the wife/kids). I only upland hunt, no waterfowl. The dog needs to be great with young kids, not need a lot of space to run, and able to be in the house. What are your recommendations? I have researched the British lab, what your thoughts/experiences with those?
Thanks!

I am sure no one here will have an opinion on this one. I have two labs and I can see how they can be a little much for kids sometimes. Awful high energy at times.

If you had trouble with labs at home, I would think about all hunting dogs would not fit your objectives. Labs are ranked as one of the best family dogs.

Why not a Springer? Them and kids usualy love eachother. If you get them trimed every so offten the sheding is not bad. Manageable sized messes during the begining.:D And still a very versitile hunting companion. And pluss they are hard to beat for upland, especialy pheasants.

Last edited:
I have researched the British lab, what your thoughts/experiences with those?
Thanks!

The little knowledge that I have on British Labs is that they are normally softer in nature than some american lines. This means they will not or can not take as much pressure when training. This doesn't necessarily mean they are easier to train though, just need a different approach. The ones I have seen are normally very calm well mannered dogs.

The breeding is normally very good, but expect to pay a premium price ($1000 and up) for a pup.

Back