Where to hunt in iowa

Michiganhunter

Hello, I went to Iowa last year with a friend for the opener. There was a late crop planting so all the corn was still standing. We went to the Hawkeye wildlife management area and walked 14 miles on day one with 4 dogs and didn’t flush 1 bird. We then went knocking on doors the next 2 days and limited out on private land. I have a group of 4 hunters and 5 dogs this year going January 7-10th. Just looking for Places to go or people to contact. AD95FCC9-9F0E-444C-BBB4-15AF95EFB439.jpeg

Many moons ago we based our hunt at Atlantic - have no idea what that area is like now. South and SE of Atlantic were hot spots. North of Atlantic a ways was productive,also. Wise Owl motel had good accommodations - not sure they are even operating...Circa 1986 three of us limited,late December ditch hunting...

Good hunting to you!

So you were using bells pheasant hunting? Is this a common practice? Thanks, I'm just curious, I thought that was mostly a woodcock deal.

I have been hunting in Iowa for several years from Michigan. We usually went about 3rd week of the season in NW Iowa out of Pocahontas. We stay at the Budget Inn in Pocahontas. The place is rough around the edges. But they accommodate hunters and allow dogs in the rooms. I like the place a great deal. There is a lot of public land within 30 miles. I also have some access on private land in the area.

I now live in Rochester, Minnesota and during the late season I hunt in NC Iowa. It is close enough for day trips. I really like hunting the last days of the season.

I tell the people that I hunt with at that time that they will see 50 to 100 birds per day. Only 1 rooster will be in range. Don't miss it.

Ditch hunting isn’t legal in Michigan and I didn’t do it last year. Not 100% on the rules and didn’t want my dogs running in the road. Do you just drive down some back roads until you see one then hop in the ditch and hope there are more? How far do you walk the ditches? And we use bells for woodcock and partridge in Michigan. My dogs see the bells and know it’s time to hunt so I use them pheasant hunting as well.

And thank you John. I’ll look into the area. And thanks for the heads up on the range. Most birds we seen were 20-30 yard shots so I guess I was expecting that again

When I hunt the late season in NC Iowa, I am hunting public ground. We see a lot of birds. Many are hens. There are times the birds flush well out of range. When you step into a 2 acre cattails slough with 70 or more pheasants in it in January, many birds will run and flush out of range. Some will sit tight but not many. It is still great fun.

With fresh snow, more birds will sit and flush in range.

Unfortunately, all of my attempts to control the weather have been unsuccessful.

Enjoy your hunt.

Always block the exits. With only 2 hunters it is difficult.

Another tip: Push CRP fields toward the corners in the late season. The crops should be off and your line of hunters should funnel any running birds in the corner. Stop advancing when within 80 to 100 yards of the field corner. Allow your dogs to work and point the birds trapped there.

Many times, my dog has pointed 2 to 8 birds after pushing a large field toward the corners.

That hotel that I referenced appears to be a victim of the Covid economy.

Another option is Scharnburg Park near Spencer Iowa.

https://claycountyparks.com/scharnberg-park/

They have 4 nice cabins for rent. I heard about this from I hunted with a couple of years ago in the Thumb.

There is a wealth of public land in the area. Spencer itself has hotels that allow dogs. There are many more amenities than the Pocahontas area.

The bells will be required if you get in some of the crp or public ground that has 8 foot tall grass...not sure if it is big blue or what it is, even dense 5 foot high switch grass on a windy day, you won't know where your dog is without a bell. I tell the guys I bring into our crp to have a bell or leave the dog at home....it won't be a good experience without one. I put the bell on a snap-swivel, and only use it when neccesary, otherwise it is in a pocket.

John has great advice (stragey) of pushing into the corners, this always is a good stragey, always be ready....you can tell the inexperienced hunters, they quit before completely hunting into the corners.

One other piece of advice for gaining private land access, I would try to keep the group small, 2, 3 maybe, if you have 4, break in to 2 groups. I grew up with the landowners around here and a few of them just don't like groups of hunters. Rolling in with multiple trucks and any dog trailers will not help your chances. Just look like a couple farm kids looking a place to hunt....not like slick city kids that don't know a hen from a horse. Helps to know something about livestock or farming, but if you don't, skip that small-talk. Good luck, hunting pressure seems to be down, I usually don't even see other hunters.

Well I should be good enough on the farm talk and I don’t think I could look like I’m from the city if I tried but your definitely right about small groups. The 2 of us knocked on about a dozen farm houses last year asking for permission and only 2 said no.

Well I should be good enough on the farm talk and I don’t think I could look like I’m from the city if I tried but your definitely right about small groups. The 2 of us knocked on about a dozen farm houses last year asking for permission and only 2 said no.

I would say right there is your answer. You have 8-10 landowners that allowed you to hunt last year. I’d be going back there and asking again. Hopefully you did something last year to show your appreciation for the permission so they remember when you come calling again?

I am old school. I have a copy of the Iowa Sportsman Atlas that I purchased several years ago.

It contains detailed maps of each Iowa county with descriptions and locations of public lands.

Mine has many years worth of handwritten notes.

https://iowasportsman.com/articles/pre-order-the-iowa-sportsman-atlas-today/

I have considered buying a new one but my notes over the years are invaluable.
I have the sportsman atlas as well, wouldn't leave home with out it.

I haven't hunted Iowa yet, but I've been studying the atlas online and have a handful of public lands marked for this upcoming season when I go. Just get OnX and study the areas you want to go to.

Back