Where the reports?

well well well,,, the high on Saturday is only 44 deg. and windy. its about time we got some decent bird weather. and some rain on Friday will put some much needed moisture back into the ground.
:10sign:

I left early Friday morning and headed north to Iowa. I know it's bad luck to brag on your dog, But.... I might have a pheasant dog. Not Timj caliber of dog yet, but in his second full year he is starting to click and understand the wiley rooster. After 37 years with labs I might see what all the fuss is about with a dog pointing a rooster. We hunted public on Friday and put down three, with one out running my ground swat attempt and the dog who did not see it in the picked corn field where it landed after I pummeled it the first shot. I could have drank a cup of coffee while I waited for it to get far enough to shoot. After a long track he pinned the next rooster to play fair in the ditch next to the road after 200 yds. I left that field with seven hens and two roosters pointed and flushed with a few more of each wayy out there. I drove to the next spot to find it occupied so drove 30 minutes to another big piece that had standing corn next to it opening weekend. We park and leave the truck and 50 yds in he gets birdy. He tracks for 50 yds and a hen and rooster blow about eighty yds ahead of us. I'm 20 yds. in the grass paralleling the cut corn and he is still birdy. Looking back at me and watching till I catch up. We do this 50-60 more yds and he runs into cut corn and burns up to corner of grass and pasture. We are hunting a cross wind so he gets past corner walks 10 yds into pasture and gets in a low head point into some small brush. I walk 30 more yds toward him and a hen flushes to my right. oh well good work...wait he is still on point. I walk another 5 yds toward him and a rooster flies between us and to my right with a ridiculously easy shot. It's the biggest rooster i've ever shot or can remember, the spurs tell the tale. A hard hunted public land bird that must have played the game at least 50-60 plus times and won. He lost Friday of no doing of mine other than hit a chip shot. Saturday I hit some private and killed 2 birds in an hour then drove home to watch probably the game for all the marbles this year get ripped from the boys by a very good OSU team, who I think will beat Bama.

Looking forward to getting out tomorrow. Have some good private ground lined up for the weekend. Hunted 3 days this week and shot a limit Tuesday morning, and nothing on Thursday or Friday (saw 25-30 birds each time out). I have really started to notice the lack of roosters on public ground over the course of the last couple weeks. Hunted a few spots where I've seen 15-20 hens and not a single rooster.

Back