Where can I hunt in so cal?

Mhoover

For the past few years I have gone down to the salton sea to hunt. This year we are not allowed to hunt there. Where can I go to shoot me some pheasant? I just found out about this. I'm so glad I didn't make the 3 hour drive for nothing. Can anyone help me.

For the past few years I have gone down to the salton sea to hunt. This year we are not allowed to hunt there. Where can I go to shoot me some pheasant? I just found out about this. I'm so glad I didn't make the 3 hour drive for nothing. Can anyone help me.

I think you're dealing with even more slim pickins' than us down there. Ive heard there are birds between El Centro and Calexico down to the border. There is a pheasant hunt in Pixley where they release throughout the season and you can hunt a bunch of the farms around there but there arent any native birds. Then there is Mendota NWR. I know for a fact there are wild birds there (because i hunt there) but it is by no means great. Good luck.

I believe Desert Wildlife Unlimited will once again be releasing pheasants on its fields near Brawley and El Centro -- open to the public at no charge.

Here's the link to its website: http://www.desertwildlifeunlimited.org/events/upland-game-bird-project/. There is a map of the fields available as well on the state DFW website.

Granted, this information is outdated but pretty sure they raise birds every year and release them throughout the wild bird season. Probably a good chance for doves as well. I've heard the pheasant opener can be a bit of a zoo -- but I also hear things calm down after the morning rush and you can find birds there later in the day and in subsequent days with a good dog.

Check it out. I would if I lived down south.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the information!! I will be pheasant hunting this weekend!!! I will try to get me some dove too!! I'm taking out my dog and a first time hunter with me. This will be the first time taking out my own dog too. I hope that us girls can bring home some birds while my husband is turkey hunting. I want some bragging rights!!! Thank you for the information!! I called the number and they are releasing birds tomorrow! You just got me even more excited for Saturday!!! :cheers:

Last edited:
Back