Where are the birds?

mattisrd

I have been hunting in Washington Co. KS for some time now. The bird count has been pretty poor since opener this year compared to other years. (It is good to see that folks are starting to see more birds elsewhere). The milo is out of the fields and it is getting cold. I was hoping to see more this weekend, but I think that I can start to name the 1 or 2 birds that I see each time I go out and get away. We have a lot of healthy looking coyotes running around, I have been wondering if this may be a cause of the low numbers. My father-in-law said that he saw a coyote chewing on a wild turkey a couple of weekends ago. What do you think to the low numbers of birds?

Not sure where Washington Co is but after hunting Hodgeman, Pawnee, Stevens and Seward counties this past week all I can say is the bird numbers in the field do not reflect what the upland bird forecast was calling for. Very thin in the central counties even on private was my result. WIHA had been walked hard and held only hens. Seward and Stevens counties were better for private land but WIHA had also been hit hard. Walked two WIHA fields NW of Liberal and only got a good exercise from it.

I have found over the years that every third year is a downer and this is the third year of the cycle. From the hens we kicked up I think 09 will be a great year if the weather holds.

Back