What's your opinion?

Calm down big guy. :D

I didn't say YOU were putting too much (that's why i said COULD BE), only that a lot of people don't realize that when you lube the action on an auto, you need to wipe off all excess until it literally looks like there is nothing left on the metal (but there is) to get maximum affect. Spraying lube all over the action and running it wet will gum up in cold temps, is what I was getting at.

Now... what the Hell you doing out in subzero temps anyway? ;)

Well, when you are there, you can just stay inside and drink beer or give it a shot. You could not walk into the wind. This was 3 or so years ago.

I completely take down the gun to clean it. Trigger assembly and all. Auto's are far easier to take down and put back together then a BPS pump action in my trials. I had a AL391 12 gauge that would not work after running 10-12 low brass 7 1/2's in 85 degree weather. I tried everything. Even bought the damn stainless spring set that goes in the stock that was suppose to help. Finally chalked it up to a single shot lemon. I think the tolerances were just off. I have a Al 391 gold in 20 gauge and it works like a champ except when it is below zero as does my Benelli legacy sport in 12 gauge. That trip I just grabbed the O/U and have yet to use the others except for waterfowl. My daughter shoots the 20 because it has less recoil then her Rem 870 youth 20. I have tried most everything from oil to graphite to dry. I will try the oil Zeb recommended. This will be like the 4th oil to try. I know they are not the same and not that I hunt in below zero temps very often for upland, but if I am out there and the weather comes in, I want it to work. By the way, you know I am always calm.:eek:

I guess I will post in this discussion. Like a number of people, I started out with a single barrel, single shot, shotgun. When I got older and could afford one, I bought a Wingmaster and used it on birds, ducks, turkeys and a little on deer. Then I acquired an 11-87 and used it on turkeys and ducks. The O/U bug bit me several years ago and I got a Redlabel and then a Beretta Silver Snipe. I got to really like those O/Us and then I got into the SxS mode and got a new Marlin brand LC Smith and later still, an SKB M-100. I have used the O/Us and the SxSs on pheasants and a few quail. Something about those two shooters has a tight hold on me. I use the two types interchangeably and am perfectly happy with either. I always have one of each in the truck with me when we hunt and pick one or the other to carry when we get to a field where we can let the dogs out. I can't explain it but there is magic in any two barrel gun.

Back