What's the plan for this weekend?

There are a ton of raptors around. I have witnessed them taking pheasants before. The number and diversity of raptors has made me start thinking about getting into falconry.
Seems I am one of the only guys in the state satisfied with the upland bird numbers this year. Try to hit the places no one else hits located near areas with irrigated crops. Look for center pivots with corn, lots of corn and sand hills filled with sage can actually be pretty good for a mixed bag of pheasants and grouse. Oh and them hills hold a few good coveys of quail. I will say the hunting can be tough on most any public ground. Just wear your nebraska gear and go ask for some permission. You could make a new friend and find a swell place to hunt. JMHO for finding good places in CO to hunt lol

I made my last trip to KS this weekend(at least for this year). I haven't been to KS since the 15th of November. The dog and I have been chasing quail along the Platte for a couple of weekends. Then I did some antelope hunting the last two weekends but was only sucessful in cutting down the coyote population...
Hunted hard and covered a lot of miles. Saw a dozen birds and of that five were roosters. Three flushed in range.

View attachment 3657

Think I want to chase the infamous scaled quail. Any suggestions? I used to hunt them in the Fountain area but the rancher sold out and I can't seem to get permission.

Back