what was your wildest hunting adventure?

Dad and I were hunting real close to our farm, and our old three legged cow dog walked with us to our CRP field. The dog, Buck, was "working" directly in front of me. All of a sudden Buck goes "on point". Dad and I thought there was no way he could have been pointing a bird. Bout that time, up pops a bobcat.:eek: He came up about 5 feet in front of me. Its a memory for ever etched in my mind

Was in Nebraska a few years back and headed to another field for rudy's, when out of nowhere a mountain lion ran across the road into a cut corn field. Me and my buddy just looked at each other with a blank stare.

I obtained a SD deer license in the early 90's after being out-of-state for many years. On opening morning I got up early and made my way to a place in the middle of a section of family land. It was there I would sit and wait for a deer, under a large tree and next to a rock pile overlooking a 20 acre slough. Just at daybreak I could hear loud voices coming from about a half mile away and then some shots. I assumed that the neighbors were driving a large tree belt. Suddenly I spotted four does running along a fenceline about 400 yards away. I put my binoculars on them to get a closer look. Suddenly a shot rang out and I instinctively lunged forward. Another shot and I crawled to get behind the rock pile. Yet another shot and I rolled over and fired in the air. As I fired in the air I saw a small buck running towards the slough in a bean field and just beyond the deer was a pair of headlights. My head was spinning and I could see that the truck was starting to leave. I turned to the deer and saw that it was running through the tall grass and cattails in the slough about 250 yards away. I don't know why under the circumstances, but I pulled ahead of the deer and fired once. I thought there was a thud and I could not see the deer anymore. I looked back towards where the pickup was and it was gone.

I sat there for about 20 minutes trying to compose myself and to think about the close call. I did not hear the first shot and then react. I reacted without thinking because it was that close.

The guy(s) doing the shooting fled and to this day I don't know who did the shooting that morning. What if I had been wounded? The shooters fired from the fenceline just a quarter a mile away, a mere 440 yards.

Finally, I picked myself up and went to the slough to look for the deer. I walked back and forth for a long time but finally found it. It was hit in the neck. It was a basket rack three point. After cleaning the deer, I measured the distance from where I was sitting and it was over 225 yards.

That is my wildest hunting experience. It was also the day that changed my views about road hunting.

Last edited:
My wildest hunt was bow hunting, I was hunting a small grove, got down a few minutes early cause I never saw a thing, mistake. Popped out to the edge of the trees and looked left and here comes a nice 10. Hunkered down and drew back, he 1/4ed out at 20 yards broadside just perfect. i let fly and "twap" stuck him in the shoulder blade. Bows back then it was a bad deal. Tracked him for a mile, found my arrow and gave up. 2 days later same tree, l walked way out in the alfalfa from the edge and cut straight to the tree to not leave sent along the edge where they travel most. After a 1/2 hr in the tree I look out and here comes a nice 10 apparently sniffing the ground right where I walked, he stopped where I turned toward the tree and and turned and walked nose to the ground right to the fence below the tree where I crossed. He stopped and looked up right at me 5 yards away. Turned around and I planted one between his shoulder blades straight down almost, CORKED him. He ran left down the edge, jumped the fence, and turned and ran back at me and dropped right below the tree. So I pulled out another arrow and shot him again. I did not need to do that because I shot him through the heart, but OH well. The heart settled and I looked at him thinking that looks like the same darn deer as the other night. Climbed down and rolled him over. There it was, the arrow hole in the right shoulder blade. It was for sure the same deer. To this day I think he was out to get pay back.:D

Last edited:
My son Len and I were hunting deer in the Oregon Sand-Dunes near Coos Bay. We only had a few hours before sunset. I was on top of a high sand dune and could for quite a distance in all directions. Len was in a grove of trees about 300 yards of to my right. I saw a Black Bear go into a different tree grove that had Blackberry vines and berries in it. I called Len on our walkie talkies and asked him. "Did you see that bear that went into the trees. He repied "No, but if you get a shot take it."

The bear came out of the trees a short time later and starts walking right for me. I have a .243 with 87 grain bullets. When he is about 150 yards from me. I shoot at him, the bullet goes over him and lands just behind him. He must think the shooter is behind for he breaks into a trot and is coming right for me. I eject and shoot again. Again the bullet goes just over his back and lands behind him. As before, only this time he puts into overdrive and is really coming at me. Then it dawns on me, I'm shooting downhill, aim low to hit the spot. So I put my crosshairs right on the start of the "V" of his breast bone. I shoot and all 4 legs go straight out to the sides and he digs a furrow with his nose. I just laid there watching him for a short bit to see if he moved. He did not, I was going to him when my son arrived. There was no blood we couldn't see where I had hit him.

We decided to drag him out to the railroad tracks near by and then gut him out. Other wise he would be full of sand from the dragging. By the time we got him to the tracks it was almost dark. I gutted it out while Len held my cigarette lighter for light. We had about 3/4 of a mile down the tracks to our truck. So Len stayed with the bear. While I ran to town to get a light and a wheel barrel. My wife heard me getting the wheel barrel and she wanted what happened. I told her, so she insisted on coming along to hold the light. Len and I put the bear in the wheel barrel and start down the tracks. The jarring and the angle of the wheel barrel the bear almost fell out within about 10 yards. So every 10 yards we had to stop and pull it back into the wheel barrel. My wife while we are doing this is taking the light and looking at the trees and the dunes and all over. We finally, get to parking lot and as we cross the tracks Red lights, Blue lights and Spotlights shine on us.

We are told to lay our guns down and stand still. State police, City and County police and a Game Warden all come over to talk to us, guns drawn. They see the bear and where did it come from. I showed them my license and told when and where I shot it. That I had gone home to get the wheel barrel to get it out of there. They told me they had gotten several Phone Calls somebody was in the dunes trying to shine deer. When they seen the light going all over, they figured the same thing. When told the truth, we all had a good laugh. They helped me load my bear and we left.

When I got it skinned out. My shot had gone in his left ear and down his spine. That 87 grain bullet completely shattered the first 6 vertebrae. I never thought a .243 could do so much damage...........Bob

Last edited:
While still in high school, a bunch of my buddies and I used to go camping a bunch. Most of our group had been in Boy Scout together and were all Eagle Scouts. We decided to make a duck hunt the following morning of this trip, as it was cold enough to have iced over (not so common in LA) and we thought it would be a good hunt. We had two different spots. One was a 15 acre, but quite deep, pond with lots of trees, logs, brush, etc., and the other was more of a grassy, shallow, marsh area known for mallards. We had my 10 foot flat bottomed aluminum boat for the pond. Will and I went to the pond and had our limit in an hour or so. The other guys struck out and had heard all of our shooting so they came to investigate.
I'll remind everyone now that we were all between 16 and 17 and still bulletproof (aka stupid). There were no life jackets or flotation devices in the boat at all, but we all literally grew up on a lake skiing and such, so this didn't concern us and the birds were still flying so.... Two of us had hunted before, but three were leaving this time. That's a load in a 10 ft. boat. My buddy Jamie was in the middle, as he was the largest guy, and he later admitted that each time the other two leaned to paddle, he saw a little water come over the sides. To this day, nobody knows why he didn't find this an important item to share. They made it to just about the deep part of things when he yelled "we're going down". Since there had been no warning, this new fact was a shock to everyone but Jamie. Will and I were on the bank and watched the whole thing. George, Jeffery and Jamie finally make it the twenty or thirty yards back to the bank, soaked to the bone, and Jamie asks where his gun is.
Being the good friends that we were, I stripped down and made a few dives for his gun myself. Remember that this water is covered by a thin sheet of ice. It took the boys about three days to warm up and reappear. LOL And that is how I wound up in a truck full of grown boys all stripped down to our underwear with the heater going full blast.

We wound up borrowing a large magnet and going back that afternoon. We did get his gun. It was twenty feet down, and he claimed that he'd handed it off to Jeffery when he bailed. We still don't know why he expected someone else to carry his gun.

Not a hunting story but has to do with my hunting dog. When I was driving back to the farm a coyote hunter has passing the place. No big deal until I saw my dog jump in front of him and go under his front bumper:eek: I quickly drove up there to find my dog laying on his back I thought this ain't good. The driver felt so bad. I looked him over and all I could find was road rash on his walnuts(hope you know what I mean).I told the driver I would take care of him and he could go. Took the dog to the basement for the night. As every hour pasted by his walnuts swelled bigger and bigger looked really painful:eek: He spent the whole night on his back. In the moning I figured I better take him to the vet he wouldn't get of his back. Before we left I decided to grab a cookie it was like a blessing from above he got right up (walked kind of funny for a week or two) but came over for the cookie. His recovery was nothing but up hill from there. To this day he has no hair on his walnuts.

CC, I have often said about Tony: If you put a pheasant and one of my home-baked Peanut Butter, Choc. Chip cookies in a corn field. Which one do you think he would find first?.........Bob

Trout Hunting in Nevada and Hoorah for the 2nd Amendment

Chapter One - A Great Day to Fish

Our three car caravan from Elko pulled into a parking area at Ruby Lake NWR, a huge refuge in the middle of nowhere. It was a beautiful April day. A few other vehicles were there too, one an older pickup that had brought, as we learned later, three miners who spent the morning drinking beer after their night shift. With me was a beautiful local, Pam (not her real name), who my Elko friends had introduced me to on a previous visit. I put on waders and fly fished. After awhile Pam and I needed a nap so we put the seats back in my ute with the windows down and the hatch up to let in the warm breeze. Our friends woke us and said keep napping but meet us at Governor's Pond later.

Chapter Two - Bad Men Make A Move

Pam woke me in a panic, saying, "Those three guys that were back there are coming and I heard one say 'Her window is down' and another say 'I can take him.'" I snapped up and turned to look out through the rear hatch. They were coming in the pickup directly behind us to pin us against the water. I reached to the back seat as I kept my eyes on the men and brought my Anaconda up to the ready. The pickup turned away quickly and went up the trail toward the road. I got out and moved directly behind the pickup, holding the Anaconda to my side in profile. I wanted to shoot, but I knew better. Pam was crying. We stowed our gear and went to find our friends.

Chapter Three - Poetic Justice

We located our friends and told them what happened. We considered our options including a manhunt. We decided to go back to Elko and think things over. We crossed the Ruby Mountains on the pass and turned north on the highway toward Elko. As we rounded a curve, a startling sight came into view. A pickup was in the opposite ditch pointed toward Elko. The engine and the brush under the pickup was on fire. Two bodies were on the road. Our caravan stopped and some of us ran back to the wreck. It was them. I told everybody. We stayed and put out the fires and gave first aid. The young one was near the fires so I drug him across the road. He whimpered, "I just wanted a ride home." I knew then that the other two were the bad ones. The driver was a pile of goo but still alive 80 feet down range in the pasture, having been launched through the sunroof as his pickup cartwheeled. An empty holster was on his belt. I found his loaded nine shot .22 in the grass six feet away from him. A helicopter took him away. An ambulance was on the way for other two. Before it arrived I decided to make a point with the bad one who was conscious. I went back to my rig and put on my fishing hat, a khaki boony. I walked back, stepped across him, and leaned down so my face was near his. After several seconds of glaring I asked "How you doing now, huh?" He knew I knew but he said nothing. He had the dead eyes of a true criminal.

Chapter Four - Epilogue

We never heard whether the pile of goo made it. I had to get back to Denver. I heard that Pam went to an Elko County deputy she knew, but there was never a prosecution. I never hit the road without my Anaconda and I was so thankful I had it the one time I needed it -- so far at least. As for the two bad guys, I suppose they thought I was some fly fishing sissy from Colorado whose woman they could do with as they pleased. Among their mistakes was the failure to read the fine print on my Colorado license plate: "Honorably Discharged Veteran" (and therefore probably armed, you stupid pieces of sh*t). I've been back to Elko several times but never ran across either bad guy. Pam moved from Elko and I never saw her again.

Last edited:
Not a hunting story but has to do with my hunting dog. When I was driving back to the farm a coyote hunter has passing the place. No big deal until I saw my dog jump in front of him and go under his front bumper:eek: I quickly drove up there to find my dog laying on his back I thought this ain't good. The driver felt so bad. I looked him over and all I could find was road rash on his walnuts(hope you know what I mean).I told the driver I would take care of him and he could go. Took the dog to the basement for the night. As every hour pasted by his walnuts swelled bigger and bigger looked really painful:eek: He spent the whole night on his back. In the moning I figured I better take him to the vet he wouldn't get of his back. Before we left I decided to grab a cookie it was like a blessing from above he got right up (walked kind of funny for a week or two) but came over for the cookie. His recovery was nothing but up hill from there. To this day he has no hair on his walnuts.
hey CAPT COOTIE> is that what happened to the top off your head? road rash??:p:p

I think you should be banded blackcloud:D Don't you remember the door knob incident:eek: Bet your walnuts still hurt:D

Last edited:
Back