What trips do you have planned for this year

Westok

I usually try to do a dusky hunt in New Mexico or Colorado early Sept. Then mid October I had planned Montana but that may have to change. In November and December I’ll hunt at home in Western Oklahoma and travel to Kansas and Nebraska for sure. And I’ve been thinking of trying New Mexico quail.

I just got retired! So, Sept is Mt or Neb and some SD, probably, haven’t decided yet, for sure. Oct is Alberta Ca for Sharptail’s and Huns, then into Mt or N or S Dakota. Nov, back to the Dakotas. Dec Kansas. Jan, either Ks or somewhere else for Bobs. Whew, it makes me tired thinking about it! I live in Idaho, so, in between, I will hunt ID and Or for Blue Grouse, Chukars and Huns. I plan on 2 1/2 weeks each month on the road, with my camper. I am so excited, even a lack of birds won’t slow me down!

I just got retired! So, Sept is Mt or Neb and some SD, probably, haven’t decided yet, for sure. Oct is Alberta Ca for Sharptail’s and Huns, then into Mt or N or S Dakota. Nov, back to the Dakotas. Dec Kansas. Jan, either Ks or somewhere else for Bobs. Whew, it makes me tired thinking about it! I live in Idaho, so, in between, I will hunt ID and Or for Blue Grouse, Chukars and Huns. I plan on 2 1/2 weeks each month on the road, with my camper. I am so excited, even a lack of birds won’t slow me down!
Awesome, i‘ll probably do the same when I retire. Until then I’ll keep grabbing all the free time I can for trips. Hopefully Canada is open. I’d love to hear about all your trips but especially the Alberta trip. Good luck and congratulations on retiring.

Probably in state trips for me this year unfortunately. Im about to close on my first house (young guy here that's far from retirement haha) so money will be tighter compared to previous years when I'd take a handful of trips each year. I'll be living vicariously through all of you taking trips on the forum this year 😂

In 30 years I can hopefully take the retired trips you all have mentioned! I'll be 1-2 half days per week in Minnesota. 3-5 days in South Dakota in November, 3 days in South Dakota in December. Possibly a prairie chicken for Minnesota's lottery season if I'm lucky.

In 30 years I can hopefully take the retired trips you all have mentioned! I'll be 1-2 half days per week in Minnesota. 3-5 days in South Dakota in November, 3 days in South Dakota in December. Possibly a prairie chicken for Minnesota's lottery season if I'm lucky.
Always nice to see a fellow MN Prairie Chicken hunter. Have you applied and got drawn before Jackrabbit?

How about Sharptails in Idaho?

I am hoping to head to the NE Sandhills for early season chickens and grouse. Other than that, it will be lots of short hunts in IA and NE. The older of my two Springers really came on strong at the end of last season. I'm hoping her younger counterpart does the same this year.

Local Blue Grouse hunting starting in 22 days, local ducks 30 days after that, opening week in SD with my Dad, Opening week in Kansas; then depending on how the birds are in SD and Kansas will determine the rest of the season.

Nebraska or South Dakota late September. Two trips to South Dakota late October and late November.
Several trips to Oklahoma and Kansas. I had hoped to go to the West coast, but with the drought conditions I'm going to put that off. Maybe next year.
Duck hunt around the house in between.
I'm getting anxious, let's get this party started!

Only big trip will be our annual SD trip for 11 days in early November. Was gonna go to MT in September but given the drought they have had decided against it.

Local Blue Grouse hunting starting in 22 days, local ducks 30 days after that, opening week in SD with my Dad, Opening week in Kansas; then depending on how the birds are in SD and Kansas will determine the rest of the season.
I’ve tried blues a couple times, only got 1. I’m a prairie hunter and I haven’t got the mountain birds figured out. But success or not it’s always a great trip just getting into the mountains

South Dakota hopefully, had some health issues and had another knee surgery working hard to get back into shape for hunting season.

Starting in ND. Open Texas quail. I haven’t decided on Oklahoma yet. And of course, SD and Ks.
I have no idea on the quail here in Ok. I haven’t seen a lot this summer. But the cover is thick. And there have been a few summers I saw them everywhere then the season was crap.

I have no idea on the quail here in Ok. I haven’t seen a lot this summer. But the cover is thick. And there have been a few summers I saw them everywhere then the season was crap.
We haven’t had quail in Texas( north) for the last 2 yrs due to drought. I realize our stock is low but I’m hearing some reports of bird numbers(spotty) - hopefully I don’t have to travel that far (ok) if I have them near me.

I just got an email reply from Kenneth Plourde Upland Bird biologist for Montana region 6. He said the Wolf Point area of Montana where t I usually hunt is going to be as dry as 2017. That was the year I first learn how the impact of drought can crash the bird numbers, not to mention the cover. I was shocked when I arrive that year at how the cover was not there and even more shocked when I hunted at the lack of birds.
It looks like I may have to change states. Does anybody have any suggestions? I hear Iowa is coming back to bird number of the past. Has anybody hunted Iowa recently?

Im heading out next month on a loop through NE, SD, MT and Wy. Going to try to do the Grouse Slam with Huns and Chukars thrown in. I’ve had pretty good luck with everything except Blues in the past, but like Westok said a walk in the mountains with your dogs is still a great day.

The weather here in Ok has been as good as we could hope for. I have been getting some good reports on our quail. I was in the sand hills north of Woodward today and the land conditions are exceptional. Hopefully we will have a cool wet winter.

Back