What is the decent incubators ?

RomanianSkulll

Need an Incubator for my pheasant eggs. How are the Hova-Bator Incubators ? Or the Octagon ECO Incubators ? What does everyone use ??

On a small scale they are fine, you will need a brooder after a couple of days. The big ones look up Quail Game Farm, QGF, higher price but more automatic and higher success rate. You can find them used. But you still need brooders.

Get your self a GQF sportsman. Elec thermostdat. Shop craigs list etc. You should be able to get one for 2-300 used in nice shape. Otherwise if you just want to mess around small, a little giant will work fine too. But you have to mess with them much more. They all work. But the sportsman is bigger bang for the buck, and lets you do up to 354 eggs. More if your creative loading.

Last edited:
Get a automatic turner for sure! I like the GQF as well!! Some of you may still have the old metal round ones that looked like metal tub for washing clothes in! Or at least remember them!LOL:cheers:

At this point in my endeavors, a incubator that holds 3-400 isn't in the picture as of now. I'm looking at the Repti-Pro 6000? Any thoughts?

At this point in my endeavors, a incubator that holds 3-400 isn't in the picture as of now. I'm looking at the Repti-Pro 6000? Any thoughts?

That incubator is made specifically for Reptiles. They will probably work for game birds. Humidity is a factor especially in Reptiles, the birds too, but not quite so much. it's not that hard, I have succesfully, hatched quail and pheasants in shoe box, with a christmas tree bulbs, and a dinner plate with baffles of card board buffer, a thermometer, and a glass of water! You need to turn every day manually, about a quarter turn, maintain the temperature to be constant, keep water in the glass. It will not be as exact, you hatch rate will be down a little, As I say a good brooder design will save you birds and hassle. You might consider buying day old chicks, and make the brooder a primary concern.

Yeah, just get a little giant then with a turner. Rig up something to squirt water in daily to the water troughs. They dont hold much water. But a baster dropper, like a real big eye dropper, with a 8-10 rubber hose, like clear fule line, will work. That way you don't have to open it. The less you go in the better. And you need to turn them at least twice a day if no turner. I marked an x and o on either side.( "With non tox marker only") Just flip to all o's or all x's. That way you know they are turned. I also made a wire rack or basket out of hardware cloth. Made it to fit in the little giant, then with a top and bottom wired together, I could flip all eggs at the same time.:thumbsup: If you don't have a turner. At the time you stop turning, un wire the basket, and lay them in the bottom of the incubator for hatch. Won't be long and I will fire mine up to. Should have a good supply of eggs.

ReptiPro 6000

i just ordered a Repti Pro 6000. Seems different types of bird breeders are having good luck with the incubator. I ordered two shelves (turners) which turn the eggs four times per day. I just started out with my pheasants and this is the first spring where i will be collecting the eggs and trying to incubate myself. The price was in my budget, just big enough, and quite easy to function. ReptiPro is A small company which started in 2006 in Kentucky. They are eager to help customers and very helpful. I'll let you know how the machine works out..

Back