What is the best pair of boots you ever owned for hunting pheasants?

Favorites were a pair of lacrosse I got off of a clearance rack about 20 years ago. Lacrosse loadstars have my attention now.
On my third pair of Solomon quests they only last a year but I work in them too. Super comfy, my feet are happy

I just bought a pair of the Irish Setter Wing Shooter 7 inch boots. Put mink oil on them a couple of nights ago but haven't wore them yet. They seem really comfortable and not too heavy. I wanted a shorter boot with less of the speed hooks. I hate having 5 or 6 rows of those things. Can't bend over far enough to see what the hell I am running my shoe laces through. I end up going around the same hook twice.
love minky oil

I have some insulated Irish Setters that I love. We hunted this year in 1 degree weather on our first day and my feet were fine with some merino wool socks and these boots.

I have some insulated Irish Setters that I love. We hunted this year in 1 degree weather on our first day and my feet were fine with some merino wool socks and these boots.
You don't need insulated or warm boots to walk around and pheasant hunt, even if its bitter cold. Once you start hoofing around, your feet will stay plenty warm anyways. The issue here is being comfortable and waterproof. You want warmth for sitting still in an open air deer stand.

I must not have the best circulation; my toes and fingers seem to get cold, even in an insulated boot, if I don't wear a decent sock. I can wear 800-gram insulated boots most any time and never have I thought "my feet are hot", so I buy at least 400-gram boots, I have never purchased an uninsulated pair of hunting boots. I could get talked into an uninsulated pair that were a great boot, a screaming deal and a size big...a big sock and maybe a liner and off I go! I have never owned a pair of boots that I would say were really great. Maybe that will change someday. Everyone's "favorites" are all over, about any brand you can image are mentioned here....all feet and budgets are different!

Alex, get those new boots on your feet and put some miles on them before that 5-day trip! They should work, even w/o camo.

You don't need insulated or warm boots to walk around and pheasant hunt, even if its bitter cold. Once you start hoofing around, your feet will stay plenty warm anyways. The issue here is being comfortable and waterproof. You want warmth for sitting still in an open air deer stand.
I'm usually blocking due to a bad knee. I get to stand in one general area and wing shoot birds heading to the next county at warp speed so I like my insulated boots for that type of hunting.

I'm getting kind of paranoid about getting down out there and can't make it out. So, I tend to wear more insulation than I need. That said, this year has been extraordinarily mild. I try to stay a pair or two ahead when I find something I like. I keep 1200 snow boots that never get worn. 400's for cold and snow, 200's for 20-30 degrees. I keep more uninsulated than anything because I do a lot of turkey and squirrel hunting and also wear them for chores through the warm months. Cruising through amazon hunting boots a few weeks ago and saw some I liked the looks of so bought a pair. Irish setter Terraine's. I can't attest for longevity yet, but so far, I love these. Non insulated but feel like about 200 gram. very comfortable and no leaks so far. All my favorite boots have had a softer sole because those hard ones will kill you on a slick rock. These are soft but not too soft. I ordered another pair!!

I have been wearing mostly Danner boots for the last 20 years as I get a deal I can't say no to though work. Typically I walk 20-30 miles over the weekend and I hunt every weekend between September and the end of January at least one day. I rotate boots some times during the day but definitely ever other day Different weather conditions and terrain mean different boots for optimal performance

Boots I've owned

Red wing 877 resoled with a gum lite - great for warm and dry weather lite duty boots rating them an A

Danner rainforest - Never fell in love with them. I think they are on the heavy side but mine are old and well made the old Danner way
traditional vibram sole rating B+

Danner Grouse - I've owned 4 pairs they always fail at the the seam were the leather and the cordura meets the joint of my big toe in a year of use. I have had them repaired at George's shoe repair in St Paul but they are never the same. I keep buying them
because I get a really good deal on Danners. The new Danners are cheap 2 sets of stitches thin leather pretty junky compared to old Danners
I still like them for upland hunting early to mid season despite the fact they fall apart. Rating B

Russel moccasin south 40 - What a pain in the ass to deal with. It took a long time to get a pair that worked it's a long story. I got measure at the pheasant fest in February , got my boots in August which didn't fit, stitching all over the place like a 13 year old built them, mid sole sticking out the front 1" on one boot like a set of cross country ski boots, 1/2 on the other. I sent them back 3 more times and 2 years later of complaining and speaking to the owner before I got a pair that worked and are what I expected for $550 custom boots. I love them for early to mid season they do require maintaince in water proofing and you will get wet feet if you stand in water or wear them in wet snow. Rating A+ on final pair

Danner Trophy-I've owned 2 pairs the first pair from 2001 is still kicking great quality boot 600 grams of insulation tanner leather triple stitched seams, bob sole, tall, water proof, warm great for late season in the upper mid west, I never like the padded collar . I picked up a new pair for this season they pale in comparison to the old ones spray tanned, thin leather, double seam stitched like a cheap knock off from the old ones Danner should be embarrassed to have their name on them. Rating A on first pair C on second pair

Danner Mount Hood lites- 200 grams of insulation 8" tall. My favorite boots prefect for the mid west in fall and even late season conditions but they are cheaply made the new Danner way. Mine lasted 2 season before coming apart at the seam next to my big toe . Again Danner has cut all corners to make these boots thin sprayed leather double seams I still like them.
rating B cause of cheap quality. Rating B

Danner Canadians- 600 grams of insulation 10" tall boots My favorite late season cold weather boots. Very much like a pair of Fort Lewis boots but brown no speed laces. I've had mine for 3 seasons but they are cheaply made the new Danner way. Mine lasted 2 season before coming apart at the seam next to my big toe I had them repaired at Georges in St Paul. Again Danner has cut corners to make these boots as cheap as possible thin sprayed leather double seams. I still like them.
Rating B cause of cheap quality.

Danner Fort Lewis -Uninsulated 10" tall. I just got these this season and have worn them 5 weekends I think they run slightly larger. I added insoles to soak up some room. The uppers are larger as well most likely because they are duty boots and trouser get tucked in. Danner has cut corners to make these boots as cheap as possible thin leather, sprayed leather, double seams. I still like them. I worn them last weekend in the wet snow walked 20+ miles over the weekend feet stayed dry. I like the speed lace eyelets as well. I doubt these will last a season without repair. I wish they came in brown I feel like a pouser wearing combat boots not being a veteran. Rating B

Last edited:
I own two pairs of Zamberlan boots: Hunter Pro and Tofane. Both pairs are Gore-Tex lined and insulated. They were made in Italy.

The Rocky Mountains can demolish a pair of boots. Over the decades, I've gone through a few pairs of boots from excellent brands. They were fair value for price paid.

Finally, after traversing too many rocks in the darn Rocky Mountains and with the pair I was wearing nearing the end of their useful life, I did a lot of research. I narrowed it to Kenetrek and Zamberlan. They're of equal quality. It would be preference. I went with Zamberlan. They're the best boots I've worn. They were designed for cold weather, rugged hunting conditions. I'll take the Hunter Pro on a Kansas pheasant hunt next month. If we don't expect deep snow, I'll take the Tofane pair. I prefer hiker boots weather permitting.

I have a pair of Vasque Breeze hiking boots. They were fair value for price paid. I wear them when hiking urban areas. They're perfect for hiking breathtakingly beautiful Torrey Pines: https://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=657 Hiking to the top of the bluffs overlooking the Pacific was worth every calorie burned. But the hike was all improved trails. Many hikers did the hike in tennis shoes. I don't think that Vasque Breeze boots were intended for extreme conditions.

I learned the expensive way to buy equipment suitable for conditions. Less expensive boots that are comfortable are perfect for improved trails like one encounters in our National Parks. When chasing wild game over broken terrain, I'd recommend Zamberlan or Kenetrek. But that's merely my opinion.

Had a pair of the Danner PHs maybe 10-12 years ago, maybe more, they were good, lasted a 6-7 years I am thinking, got another pair after I worn through the leather and those were trash in 2 years. All the heal support was broken-up and they leaked like a landing net. I only wear my "hunting boots" for hunting, less than 30 outings a year. For the price they get for Pronghorns now, I would rather get a cheap pair some other china made boots on a clearance in Fleet Farm for a fraction of the price. Maybe their recently manufactured ones are better. M5, how old are the ones you like?

Well, I'm greatly disappointed in my Cabela's Mendel Liteweight hunters. 1st pair lasted three seasons before they leaked. I still wear them when it's cold and dry. This is my second season with the newer yesterday one sprung a leak. And only wore them when it was cold and wet. They were not cheap boots.

I think that many boots have a Gore-Tex (or similar) layer under the outer leather/fabric to "waterproof" them. That stuff will only flex so many times before it gives-up....guessing if your boots are like mine, the leaks seem to be just behind your toes....where they flex. I think my next pair will be all leather uppers and will try to treat the leather regularly...and try to find something without the seams stitched where they flex as that seam will fail before most anything else. With that being said, I would sure like to some day get a pair of Russel Moccasin boots! To get a few options on those, you could get 2 pairs (or 3-4 pairs) of almost any other boots I have seen. My birthday is coming soon, a boy can dream!

Yeah, it's the liners, there is no reason they can't last longer. The old Rocky's lasted a long time. The driest boots I've tried were the Main guide boots. But not very comfortable for walking all day! My brother wears nothing but the muck boots. But God thought it would be funny to give me girls feet. Size 8 + 205 lbs= sprained ankles with no support.

Remy is right on with the make-up of the boot. All leather outer will last MUCH longer than the 1/2 and 1/2 ones. Irish Setter makes one that has lasted well for me. Gortex lining is too warm for early season for me though so they are my winter boots. Just a side note (as I like conditioning leather) its not the water that breaks them down as much as dirt and sand that takes the oil out, so brush them off and recondition occasionally and they will last. If you use Obenaufs, your trigger finger will be soft and flexible...win-win!

So what’s your guys description of dry feet? The more I hunt the smarter I get about keeping my feet dry. I wear the cabelas expedition boot. If you get them on sale you can get them for $40. There not like walking on a cloud but not bad. If I walk in sloppy mud, dry feet, 4 inches of submerged water 2-3 times in a hunt, dry feet. My feet get wet when my pants get wet then run inside, choose not to wear gators, starting to wear muck boots in deep snow. I walk in grass so much it wears holes from rubbing so much. I get new boots every two years.

I think that many boots have a Gore-Tex (or similar) layer under the outer leather/fabric to "waterproof" them. That stuff will only flex so many times before it gives-up....guessing if your boots are like mine, the leaks seem to be just behind your toes....where they flex. I think my next pair will be all leather uppers and will try to treat the leather regularly...and try to find something without the seams stitched where they flex as that seam will fail before most anything else. With that being said, I would sure like to some day get a pair of Russel Moccasin boots! To get a few options on those, you could get 2 pairs (or 3-4 pairs) of almost any other boots I have seen. My birthday is coming soon, a boy can dream!
You can buy two pairs of other boots and they won't last as long as one pair of Russell's, at least from my experience.

Finishing up year 12 on my Russell's Premium BirdShooters and they hardly look worn. I did send them back to get re-soled to add more traction, not because of wear.

I usually bought new boots every 5 years or so.

I like Crispi Colorado for my size 14Bfeet...$360
I like them so much I bought an extra pair for whenever the current pair wear out (4 years of daily hiking and still going strong)

Back