What Gauge to Buy?

I have pumps, doubles and O/U's in 12,16 and 20 gauge. My go to gun is my 16 gauge double. It carries like a 20 and shoots like a 12. Where I usually shop it was rare to find 16 gauge shells a year ago, now I can go to 4 different stores within 5 mile of each other and pick up a box of 16 gauge ( I probably have 40 boxes of 16 gauge for quail and pheasant.) The 16 is making a huge come back.

Anybody familiar with the Beretta 28 guage ou.Is it enough gun to pheasant hunt with?

I have a 686 Silver Pigeon double barrel set. One set in 20 and one set in 28. I use the 28 set on Pheasants all the time. :thumbsup:

I have pumps, doubles and O/U's in 12,16 and 20 gauge. My go to gun is my 16 gauge double. It carries like a 20 and shoots like a 12. Where I usually shop it was rare to find 16 gauge shells a year ago, now I can go to 4 different stores within 5 mile of each other and pick up a box of 16 gauge ( I probably have 40 boxes of 16 gauge for quail and pheasant.) The 16 is making a huge come back.

I have a 1896 LC smith 16 guage. Sweet gun. I've used it.

Anybody familiar with the Beretta 28 guage ou.Is it enough gun to pheasant hunt with?

I've shot a bunch of SD pheasants with a 28 ga IC/Mod, usually with an ounce of 5's or 6's. I like to concentrate on killing all the ones within range, and let the ones that flush wild land. A lot of them will flush wild, then hold the next time.

I guess I will weigh in here. I carried a Winchester Model 1200 with a 30"barrel for about 20 years. I probably shot a pickup load of birds with that gun over those 20 years. I loved that gun still have it but I can tell you that as I got older that darn gun got heavier. Like most of us when I hunt pheasants I hunt all day and not road hunting either. At the end of the day I was tired and my arms and hands would cramp from carrying that gun around all day. On my 60th birthday I bought myself a 20 gauge Franchi Instinct L. I wanted something light weight and came up nice which it was but I must say I was a little concerned about if it was going to be enough gun for me. Well I must say I have been very satisfied with my purchase. I shoot as many if not more birds as my buddies who shoot 12's and I am not near as tired at the end of the day as I would have been carrying that old 12 gauge. It is really a personal choice but there has to be some thought put into it. If you are going to walk alot and hunt all day consider a lighter gun that fits you well. If you are a road hunter or maybe some one that blocks more than walks a 12 gauge may suit you better.

I use a sling on my 12 guage. It helps a lot when walking all day. I like a 12 guage, late in the season, when the birds flush wild.I like the 20 guage for crp hunting, grouse, Huns.Ive never used a16.

gauge

I'm a 28ga guy I love the little gun ,that said I hand load my own and have some Thump-er loads that will flat crush a phez,I shoot um all year ,there lighter ,the shells are lighter,after a long day of walking I don't feel like I have carried a cannon all day long,the key is fit and practice I shoot a lot of targets and also do Not take super long shots,I also hunt over pointing Dogs.I enjoy them so that's my go to gauge. but That's just me :cheers:

For the average Joe looking for a gun other than a 12 gauge to. Carry & use most the year on a mixed bag of game its really a deal of either a 16GA or 20GA u can kill most flying birds with both gauges &dont have to search hi & low for ammo...

If u shoot lots & lots & lots of clays & wanna keep shots under 25 maybe 30 yards u can add a 28GA I just would tone down my oz of shot & use a 16 or 20 or 12 VS a 28 on wild pheasant but I'm not into shooting hundreds of clays b4 season

16 GA would be my choice hands down... I'm not a 20GA. fan at all...

I'm a 28ga guy I love the little gun ,that said I hand load my own and have some Thump-er loads that will flat crush a phez,I shoot um all year ,there lighter ,the shells are lighter,after a long day of walking I don't feel like I have carried a cannon all day long,the key is fit and practice I shoot a lot of targets and also do Not take super long shots,I also hunt over pointing Dogs.I enjoy them so that's my go to gauge. but That's just me :cheers:

I think I might get a 28 ou.Id like to get a beretta...Cha Ching ..

Back