What do you use to hold your gear in bed of your truck?

isuhunter

I got a new pickup this year and don't have a topper and do not plan to have one for pheasant season. Trying to come up with a storage option for gear - it was much easier with the topper not worrying about things getting wet or blowing out.

What are you guys using for holding extra gear while hunting?

I have a tonneau cover.

I have a factory plastic bedliner so things do slide around. I use bungee cords to hold things. Ideally a rubber type mat or spray on bedliner would work much better though.

Originally I had It without a cap/topper and there was slight dust leakage. Although I would say it was less then using a plastic tote/storage. The drawers to open and close very well. You can also place considerable weight on top. Downside wound be they are heavy and I wouldn’t want to have to take them in and out if you needed an empty bed for other reasons

I have a roll-up bed cover (and a slide-in bedliner) and just use a BIG duffle bag, there are several pockets, about everything I need (doubles of everything) fits in there except the extra boots and shotgun. It stays there until season ends.

I started out with pick ups and no topper. That was a long time ago - of course it was a money issue, but somehow always had money for fun at the bar🤪 somewhere in my early 30’s went with the cheapest aluminum topper I could find - and have had a topper ever since - plus - aluminum toppers are light, so I would often take it off. in retrospect, should have made it a priority sooner. The dogs are protected from the elements, the biggest factor for me - although it’s nice to keep everything out of the elements. these days you could likely find a used one relatively cheap - and you have almost 3 months to find one - just an option to keep in mind - it doesn’t need to look pretty - just functional

I started out with pick ups and no topper. That was a long time ago - of course it was a money issue, but somehow always had money for fun at the bar🤪 somewhere in my early 30’s went with the cheapest aluminum topper I could find - and have had a topper ever since - plus - aluminum toppers are light, so I would often take it off. in retrospect, should have made it a priority sooner. The dogs are protected from the elements, the biggest factor for me - although it’s nice to keep everything out of the elements. these days you could likely find a used one relatively cheap - and you have almost 3 months to find one - just an option to keep in mind - it doesn’t need to look pretty - just functional
The other benefit of a topper is slows down people from stealing stuff out of the truck bed. Seems like those plastic storage totes are too much temptation for a thief when their sitting in an open bed.

My bed is uncovered. I have kept my hunting clothes, knives, shells, gun cleaning kit etc... anything I don't want to get wet in a rubbermaid tote for 20 years. Everything is there. When I leave for SD or whatever i grab my suitcase, gun, and tote. Works great. Only issue is if it snows my mud river kennel cover may get wet? CAN be problematic sometimes. No problem while I'm traveling because nothing sticks to it. But if It snows while I'm in the field, I'll bring it in at night and let it melt and dry.

Wondering if you got a crew cab? First time I don't have a topper. Went with a hard locking folding tonneau cover. The dog is in a kennel in the cab and one big plastic upland tote stays there all season. Guns in cab. Although mine is locked in back, I really only have a big water cooler and maybe a camp stove. I use a folding kennel that keeps the hair in so the truck still looks new inside. YES, I miss the dog in the front with me but the wife (and I ) like having a clean truck now.

Wondering if you got a crew cab? First time I don't have a topper. Went with a hard locking folding tonneau cover. The dog is in a kennel in the cab and one big plastic upland tote stays there all season. Guns in cab. Although mine is locked in back, I really only have a big water cooler and maybe a camp stove. I use a folding kennel that keeps the hair in so the truck still looks new inside. YES, I miss the dog in the front with me but the wife (and I ) like having a clean truck now.
I would think the cab would get a bit ripe that way lol!

I got a new pickup this year and don't have a topper and do not plan to have one for pheasant season. Trying to come up with a storage option for gear - it was much easier with the topper not worrying about things getting wet or blowing out.

What are you guys using for holding extra gear while hunting?
I use a a Better Built SEC Series Aluminum Chest truck box. I've been using it for 2 years. I hunt 4 states and put on a lot of miles. I have had no issues with rain, snow, or dust. I like that it locks, has plenty of storage space, does not rest on the bed rails, sit's slightly below the truck box and easily removed when necessary.

I like using the large DeWalt tool totes. 1 is for my hunting gear, other I pack my street clothes in. Waterproof seal, wheels to easily move around and heavy-duty enjoy to sit on. I've used them for 3yrs and never had any problems with water or anything getting in them.

Back