What do you do with your birds?

Logical

Just showing what I do with most of my birds. I make them into sticks and jerky. Wife doesn't like them roasted, so I grind them and form them, then stick them in my smoker for a while.

I tried making chili, but I was not pleased with the texture of the meat (I cut into chunks about ?" cubed).

I started today's process with 4.1 lbs of pheasant, seasoned with Hi Mountain Hickory jerky seasoning. I did just less than half as jerky strips, and the rest as sticks. I don't put them in any sleeves, just extrude as a stick.

After the smoking, I ended up with 2.6 lbs of finished product.

Could not get the photos inline, no matter what I tried. I loaded to Flickr, and that doesn't embed them. I uploaded the (attached) files to my profile, but that also just links, contrary to the instructions.

I use my birds in just about any recipe people use chicken in. I really like plucking the birds and roasting them after stuffing the inside with celery and wild rice. Just don't over cook pheasants which can be easy to do. The flavor when cooked with the skin on is the best in my opinion.

Meat

I hunted in SD and ND where farmers use a lot of pesticides. These chemicals end up in the birds fat layer under the skin. So, everyone skins birds in these states.

I often stir fry breast and thigh meat. The trick is not bacon, it is to heat the meat until just barely done. It will be tender and not particularly dry. Try this.

Seems like many if not most pheasant (and many other bird) recipes call for the use of bacon. This obliterates the delicate natural flavor of grouse, quail and even pheasant. Makes the bird taste like a hot dog!

Try this. Remove skin off of pheasant, sprinkle salt,pepper, minced garlic and onion, add a little bazil. In a skillet pour in some olive or vegetable oil and cook each side for only 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or so. MOST IMPORTANT IS DO NOT OVERCOOK! The natural juices will be seared inside. This is my fastest way to cook them up and my family scarfs them down. Also works well with quail.

Back