What are your plans this year?

We are planning our 8th annual trip the first full week of December for 4 days. It is a 13 hour drive for us. We leave after work around 5:00. Get in around 4:00 a.m. Sleep for a couple of hours and wake for a usual beautiful sunrise and coffee.

Our first trip was in 2012 and the hunting was tough enough to leave both me and my buddy scratching our heads as to why we tried it again. The 2nd trip was a huge learning curve and were blessed to get to hunt some private ground. We rarely shoot a quail or pheasant limit, but almost always see birds all day long. Still hunt a mix of public ground too. If it looks good, hunt it, but don’t spend more than hour if no birds. Keep moving around as bird numbers could be different in as little as a mile away.

What started as a 2 man adventure 9 years ago now has us with 3 new recruits and my brother-in-law to the bird hunting passion. Two of which now have their own dogs. We hunt together some, but split up as well. Like others enjoy, we relive the same stories every year. I need to start a journal.

I have a 1-1/2 yrld male setter, Gus and 12 year old female setter, Macey. Excitement and nostalgia for me to shoot some birds over the young stud, and hopefully one more point, shoot, retrieve from my girl.

Make it a great season all. Thanks for the stories shared. I too enjoy just reading the detailed hunts(no locations!) and pictures.

Attachments

• C4089447-5774-4651-994B-52F027D1B4ED.jpeg
    C4089447-5774-4651-994B-52F027D1B4ED.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
Like a lot of guys from out of state we have a booked trip in January. More excited about quail then pheasant as the numbers are way up here in MN and I have plenty in the freezer. Don't worry residents we have enough ethics not to keep chasing the covey around and wipe them out. I only say that as I can't stand reading here that groups do that.

Haven't hunted KS since '05. Living back in KS now, pretty close to the place I left. All my old contacts for private ground are gone, so I'm in the explorer mode. Probably start with the public stuff and I think I'll try areas that would be new to me. Used to hunt North Central and extreme Southwest for the most part. Time to see new country.

Looking forward to it because prior to moving back about all I got in was one good trip to SD.

Cyas out there!

I'm coming back to KS again this year in December and I'm going to start in the west central part of the state Who knows where I will go from there. Plan on spending 4 days or so on WIHA as long as the dog holds up just nice to get away for a while into some different country since I don't get to hunt much at home during the fall.

Back