West Kan Update

I was out in Ellis and Rooks counties this weekend. I wish it was dove season as I could have shot (at) a limit from my sister's porch. I was surprised to the good about milo. Milo actually looks pretty good overall. There are fields that it looks short and hasn't headed out but as a whole, not bad. The pic is on my place. I saw a young rooster and 2 quail crossing the road 5 miles away and this was sort of mid-afternoon after the rain on Friday night and Sat morning. The feed was not as lucky and overall it looks bad.

I have been hoping to hear some kind of good news. Talked to some friends and farmers in Sheridan Co., they are not very optimistic, have been seeing very little of anything.

Milo stalks will be the place to hunt.

My uncle went out to his property in Smith Center last week and his report was, "It wont be a great season, but it wont be terrible"; I will take it!

Rut

I think this year will be better than last year. And last year wasn't terrible for me. It was no near as good as 2010-2011 but it wasn't all that bad.

I spent last Thursday and Friday mornings and evenings in Rooks, Graham, and Trego counties checking on various hunting spots (got rained out on late Thursday evening and moved south). I've been hunting this area for a long time and have seen good and bad years, but nothing compares to the lack of habitat that I saw on this trip.

There is simply very little of anything. I saw almost no corn, only about 10% of the milo even had heads, and the CRP that wasn't grazed or hayed was so thin that it really couldn't hide much of anything.

If you're going to hunt the area, the crop that you'll be hunting around will pretty much be wheat and wheat only. There's milo, but we'll probably see a bunch of it that doesn't get cut.

Did I see birds? Yes, but very few. If you look long and hard enough you'll always find a few in the best spots....there just aren't very many good spots.

I had planned to head that direction on opening day as I have plenty of private ground to hunt. I have cancelled those plans.

I didn't think it could get much worse than last year....I was wrong.

Good luck to all,

Point!

Anybody have an idea hows things looks in the Lucas / Luray area's? I'm headed out for the week of Thanksgiving....anybody looking for a partner? I'll have my female shorthair, who'll be just shy of 2years old. I live in PA, but am spending the Holiday in Joplin, MO. I made the trip out to Lucas / Luray area for a day last year and hunted a few WIHA's.....I'm gonna spend a few days this time.

-John

Wow that's rough. Hopefully with some rain coming next week and cooler weather on the way it'll help the CRP a little bit. Looks like we'll be putting the miles on the trucks and boots this year!

I spent last Thursday and Friday mornings and evenings in Rooks, Graham, and Trego counties checking on various hunting spots (got rained out on late Thursday evening and moved south). I've been hunting this area for a long time and have seen good and bad years, but nothing compares to the lack of habitat that I saw on this trip.

There is simply very little of anything. I saw almost no corn, only about 10% of the milo even had heads, and the CRP that wasn't grazed or hayed was so thin that it really couldn't hide much of anything.

If you're going to hunt the area, the crop that you'll be hunting around will pretty much be wheat and wheat only. There's milo, but we'll probably see a bunch of it that doesn't get cut.

Did I see birds? Yes, but very few. If you look long and hard enough you'll always find a few in the best spots....there just aren't very many good spots.

I had planned to head that direction on opening day as I have plenty of private ground to hunt. I have cancelled those plans.

I didn't think it could get much worse than last year....I was wrong.

Good luck to all,

Point!

Back