West central ks.

Radar

We had 14 hunters on saturday and 8 or 10 on sunday and 4 to 6 dogs. Overall 85 birds for the weekend on public and private land close to the colorado line.
I will say birds were spotty at times. Just like any pheasant hunting we walked fields and got up nothing or maybe just a few. The next spot would have birds coming out everywhere. Some valleys and grain fields had literally hundreds of birds.
If there was cover such as grass close to grain fields we found birds. I was very happy to see more of the wheat that was stripped and was 24" tall instead of combined down to 6". Hopefully more wheat wil be done like that in the future. The stubble was almost like short thick CRP.
There was a dusting of snow on saturday morning and it was very damp air both days which helped the dogs a ton with tracking live birds and cripples and finding down birds. We were in the west central part of the state which used to never have many hunters but we saw a lot this year.
Many of our birds held very tight before flushing after running for a long ways. This was the first time i've gotten a bird without shooting, the dog pointed it and i stepped on its tail and caught it. Hope a boot is legal equipment and shot. Someone will probably say i should have flushed and shot it but a bird under a boot is worth two in the air as poor of a shot as I am and I'd rather have a bird with no shot in it to eat than full of holes and lead.
The road heading out.
1289921254.jpg
[/IMG]
A few on Saturday with my pup.
1289920012.jpg
[/IMG]

Sounds like an excellent hunt Sir. I noticed a little bit of that tall wheat stubble spread across the state as well. I sure hope the farmer I hunt on starts doing the same thing. I hope the taller stubble has benefits other than wildlife production b/c that's the only way the guy I hunt on will change....it has to make him more $ or he won't even consider it.

I think KS just got a lot more popular. On one hand I think it could improve things for us, on the other hand, I felt like there were more hunters than birds a couple of times this past w/e. I guess time will tell.

Thanks for the report Radar.

The stripping method of wheat harvest has a lot of advantages. It takes a little less fuel stripping instead of cutting and spitting the stray back out, and it holds the moisture in the soil better as well as wind and water erosoin protection a bonus for all.

Thanks. I'll do some more research and maybe prepare a "sales pitch" for him next time I'm out. I can only imagine that those places hold quite a few birds.

Back