Went Phesant hunting this weekend.

Coastie87

Well guys i went out to get some roosters again with success!! only failure is i didn't bring my camera again! (woke up late had to rush out the door..i blame the turkey) but i did manage to get a picture off with my camera phone while Remmy was on point and thought i'd share it. I went both Saturday and Sunday (more pictures to come from the saturday hunt)

On Saturday it was a windy day, bout 30-40mph winds and birds were running! Hunted with 6 other guys, we walked the whole field seemed like Remmy was the only dog finding birds that day (not bragging at all :rolleyes: ) 50 yards into the field Remmy goes on point, infront of one of my buddies, gets up the bird and my buddy downs it. another 30 yards down Remmy goes on point again this time infront of me, i kick up the bird, shoulder my shotgun slapped the trigger and Holy crap!!!! forgot to trun off the safety paniced i took my gun off safe took a shot and miss! thankfully with the wind the way it was i packed some insurance 3 inch mag #4 and a full choke for the second shot on my OU bird was about 60 yards when i took the second shot just to throw some lead in the sky to show the rooster how mad i was didn't have a hope in hell on hitting the bird but i guess i under estimated my self...the bird goes down. So thats the second bird of the day, get down the field and Remmy did an awesome job found 6 more birds, we got 4 of the 6 birds. We continued to push the field until the end, then Remmy goes on point again as the birds continue to run he relocates them and locks up again, thinking it was just a single bird two of us walk up in Remmy and BAM!!!! 5 phesants flush!!!!!! I took a shot off blanced on one foot! after seeing how fast the birds were getting off i switched over to 3inch mags for both shot and 3inch mags out of an overunder + off balance shot = fell on my @ss but i got a bird, thankfully the birds flush toward a couple of the guys that were with us and they down 1 and I downed 1 buddy that walked up with me on the phesants missed all 3 shots lol! The birds were really holding up tight that day, when we got to the end of the field we stood around laughing about me falling on my @ss Remmy gets birdy and goes on point, my brother walks up to Remmy looks around and sees nothing! he walks around kicking the brush and as soon as he thinks theres no bird a rooster does a 90 degree vertical take off like a F-22 Raptor and nearly gives him a heart attack! after stumbling back a few feet my brother takes the shot and downs the bird! so at the end of the day we leave with 9 birds out of 19! Not bad for 2 hours of hunting!

Sunday's hunt, alot calmer then the first day's wind was about 5mph and cold, ideal phesant weather! This time its just my brother in law and my self. We walked the field with a couple of guys from the club house. Walked about 100 yards into the field and Remmy goes on point in a dead weed patch, i kick up the bird, took a shot and what do you know...another miss! The bird gets downed by another hunter. We walked the rest of the field with out seeing another bird until we reach the end of the CRP field Then Remmy locks up again. I flushed the bird, missed the first shot, connected with the second bird goes down in the ditch. We started working back on the field we just walked figuring we missed some birds because the wind was at our backs. about 1/4 of the way thru the field Remmy goes on point my brother in law flushes it and downs the bird. Then we move about another 20 yards and again Remmy goes on point, I walk up flush the bird and downed it on the first shot this time. So now i got my limit i unload and enjoyed just watching Remmy work. Another 50 yards up Remmy locks on a bird for a Junior hunter, (13 year old girl with her father) i guide and walk up with her on the bird, kick up the bird and she downs it on the first shot with a .410 wtf? and i can't hit the broadside of a barn! Her little face lights up in the cold, proud of the shot she made and her father even more proud! and that was it i could have missed all the shots of the day and my hunt would have been worth it in that moment. It seemed like the last bird in the field walked the rest of it without finding another bird. With 1 more bird to go my brother in law and i decided to go and try to get the last bird. We decided to hit the edges of the field thinking that it would be where the birds would hold up if there were any left. bout an hour after not finding anything Remmy locks up again, brother in law walks up and flushes it and misses! we called it a day after that but i was able to get this picture of Remmy on point from my cell phone.

GetAttachment-1.jpg

Last edited:
Another great story! I'm glad the girl got to shoot a bird. It is amazing when kids take a rooster down, especially w/ a .410. I've seen those birds get hit squarely by a 12ga. w/ #5 shot and not go down. I think there's a higher power at work out there.....Thanks for sharing your story:thumbsup:

BTW, what state were you hunting?

Thanks for taking the time to read, im hunting in California :) this was at a public club lots of birds planted. Its put together by a bunch of generous farm owners that donate their CRP and alphalfa fields for amonth of the general season to the club that plants the birds. In that one month over 2000 birds are planted giving people prime oppertunity to take birds and get their pupps a chance to find birds. Public land in California don't produce many birds. I give credit to the land owners for giving us the oppertunity to pass on the tradition :).

Finally got around to posting some pictures from the hunt...not great but it was still fun...enjoy guys!

Remmy and I

Hunting09001.jpg

and the group.

Hunting09003.jpg

GREAT PICS!!!! Awesome job for getting the youth involved. We sure do appreciate you sharing them with us. Hope you have a Happy Holiday!:thumbsup:

Merry Christmas
Rod​

Back