Well Life Happened

AntiKode

I've been in the work of getting a bird dog and locating places to train him her. Lol. Well I was in a car accident so it looks like I'm going to be a foot hunter this year while money is tied up into getting the new(old 97) 4runner into my new hunting rig. This was all supposed to happen after the dog..but it happens. Might end up booking a guided hunt or 2 this year just to get behind dogs if anyone can recommend some places within a 4 hour drive or so of Houston. How's everyone else down here doing?

That sucks. If you were in Iowa, I would have you over. I had a short term neighbor a while back, he had lived in TX prior, it sounded like where he was, the hunting had been commecialized to where it was hard to hunt without be a "member" of some club. I guess the good news is that you weren't severely hurt. Hang in there!

That sucks. If you were in Iowa, I would have you over. I had a short term neighbor a while back, he had lived in TX prior, it sounded like where he was, the hunting had been commecialized to where it was hard to hunt without be a "member" of some club. I guess the good news is that you weren't severely hurt. Hang in there!
hank you much Remy. The only thing hurt was the little car. I managed to make it out totally unscratched, minus some aches.
There is some public land, and close, but waterfowl is the main thing on public land. I've been talking to an avid waterfowler friend and found out some places he's seen snipe yearly, so that'll be on the 'budget' agenda. a couple days this year. Might end up taking a drive out of state and just go see where I end up. I've got an enabling..errr.. supportive lady in my life so she's already planning her reading list for this fall. Lol. I'll also get to build out my rig earlier than expected so thats a blessing in disguise as well.

I've been in the work of getting a bird dog and locating places to train him her. Lol. Well I was in a car accident so it looks like I'm going to be a foot hunter this year while money is tied up into getting the new(old 97) 4runner into my new hunting rig. This was all supposed to happen after the dog..but it happens. Might end up booking a guided hunt or 2 this year just to get behind dogs if anyone can recommend some places within a 4 hour drive or so of Houston. How's everyone else down here doing?
What do you want to hunt?

Texas is a blessing and a curse, if u have access to good private land your set for life. If you have the money you can lease fantastic properties. I fall into the group of get in your truck and drive out of state, and tag along on a few Texas hunts per year when invited. I feel you may be the same if your reaching out so if I lived in Houston area I would become a duck hunter and save money for road trips 800 miles north and west. There are great places to hunt quail up and down the Rio grande if it’s in the budget.

Texas is a blessing and a curse, if u have access to good private land your set for life. If you have the money you can lease fantastic properties. I fall into the group of get in your truck and drive out of state, and tag along on a few Texas hunts per year when invited. I feel you may be the same if your reaching out so if I lived in Houston area I would become a duck hunter and save money for road trips 800 miles north and west. There are great places to hunt quail up and down the Rio grande if it’s in the budget.
My biggest issue is just a lack of desire to get wet, But I'm sure I'll end up out there plenty. I'm for sure hitting the dove fields hard, we'll chase snipe just to say I did it. Those might be my extent of public land endeavors this year unless said buddy drags me to chase waterfowl.

Kansas isn't a terrible drive from you, could always make some trips up that way. We usually have good luck. Better than Missouri anyway lol!

If you're going to make a drive out of state, shoot me a message and I can point you to some general areas in NM, KS, SD, or ND.

Do you find antikodi messages a little strange.. he admits not to have desire to hunt and has no dogs. Lives in waterfowl part of Texas and is getting a cocker! Nothing against them but they are a addition to a team of dogs, just seems strange!

Lol. I have no huge desire
to hunt waterfowl….just don’t like sitting still in the cold and wet, but I’ll end up out there anyhow I’m sure. Sorry. The cocker is to travel with and hunt behind.

I’ve got a bigger desire to be out in the fields and dry land watching a cocker work and knocking down birds to them than getting wet and muddy for birds I’m not a fan of eating.

Back