Webster Area-grouse,huns

wisturkeyhunter

Heading out to webster for the opener and again sometime in November. Is there other upland birds such as grouse, and huns to hunt around there or is it pretty much just pheasants. Any pheasant tips would also be appreciated but we are staying with a guy that lives there who hunts.

Heading out to webster for the opener and again sometime in November. Is there other upland birds such as grouse, and huns to hunt around there or is it pretty much just pheasants. Any pheasant tips would also be appreciated but we are staying with a guy that lives there who hunts.

I've hunted around Webster at least a couple days each season for six years now. You will find a few sharptails in the area. I'd say north of Webster is better than south.

As you drive through the area you will see parts of the landscape that leans more to pasture and cattle production vs. active row crop farming. This is where i would tend to concentrate. They like the shorter, thinner grass stands.

I've always viewed sharptails in that area as a bird of opportunity and don't focus on it. If I see them working an area while hunting pheasants will mark it on my atlas and come back later if I get an early pheasant limit. Like to walk the protected sides of hills on windy days.

SD GF&P indicates Huns are present but can honestly say I've never seen a covey. Probably not hunting in the right places.

You just aren't going to find many sharptails in the Webster area. You may bump one while pheasant hunting but they will few and far between. Most sharpies in the state are further west. There are a few west and north of Aberdeen but they are mostly out around the Missouri River and west of the river.

Huns can be found around the state but again they are few and far between. You might bust a covey while pheasant hunting but that would even be rare. Years ago I use to see more Huns but now I might go several years without seeing one.

Sorry, but if you're hunting the Webster area you will probably be limited to pheasants for upland birds.

I agree not many sharptail or huns around Webster. I did find on covey of huns two years ago but it was opportunistic and since haven't seen any. On a positive note you should have no problem finding pheasants.

We found some grouse on some public land about 10 miles outside of Webster. Most of em flushed wild but our French Brittany pointed 2 and I knocked down 1 and about 5 minutes later he pointed a lone bird and Dad knocked it down.
Made our good pheasant hunting trip great.

IMG_0902.jpg

Nice pics! Thanks for sharing.:10sign:

Back