WDNR good news!

I don't blame the state dnr for putting the money into released birds because that's what "hunters" want. I know we could have better wild bird hunting then we do but most guys don't believe that so the state does what it can. Most guys think they are pheasant kings if they kill 20 released birds in this state. It is what it is though and the wdnr does alright with what they are given

I hunted private land one time last year late in the season with zero success when I'd been killing birds all year on public land both stocked and wild birds. Not sure where you are going with that.

Wis turkey, if your asking where I was going with that, I'm not real sure.
Not even the topic, I guess I was trying to say it doesn't take private land to have a wild pheasant population in Wisconsin.

Is stocked pheasants grounds about the same as a game farm bird wise or are they a little different, meaning the way the birds are?

I was talking about 519 saying without stocking only private land hunters would kill pheasants which from my experience isn't true.

Having hunted your part of the state on federal and state land several times and also hunted public stocked land around here I think your birds are better at evading a dog, and much more skiddish. I've had birds up your way double back between dogs or flush ahead from the sound of calling a dog or talking a hunting partner. Wild birds also fly faster and lower.

The stocked birds survive by getting lucky and ending up on the edges and heavier cover of the main areas that most guys hunt. Once you figure out where some of the spots that birds get kicked to that most guys overlook your limits come pretty easy until late in the season when there might not be any left. The stocked birds at times can be pretty good at running along ways.

Totally agree. I sent a note to a few of the upper mgmt folks at the DNR and at Poynette after the season last year to compliment them and thank them for providing us with a hunting opportunity that wouldn't be available to most of us if it werent for the DNR and this program. If we want this program to continue, I encourage others to contact the DNR and voice support. They too only have so much money to divy up. I'm super glad they have put some more towards Poynette.

Good Idea......I will make sure I also send a note to let them know I appreciate there efforts! I think more wild birds is what we all would like but as of now there would not be a decent huntable population for the amount of people that choose to participate......more people interested in Pheasants is the best thing as far as having a voice in things that benefit upland conservation. Another benefit is for us that are still hunting in December....some of those released birds are still around and acting pretty wild by that time and we more or less have the place to ourselves. Hopefully with the leveling out of commodity prices we can start getting some of the larger blocks of marginal land back in CRP which is a good thing for the wild bird.

Good Idea......I will make sure I also send a note to let them know I appreciate there efforts!

Yes! Please do. As you and the others know a good "pat-on-the-back" goes a long way for those guys!

I was looking as a few sites where the upland/pheasant habitat looks absolutely phenomenal due to improvements on the DNR's part:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:.

In the future, a few good springs with decent nesting conditions will yield some great wild bird numbers in such areas.

On a note more in-line with the thread, here's a video from last year regarding Wis DNR pheasant release program;
http://youtu.be/FICYgjHN37M

Back