Waterproof, breathable shell.

Possible Lightweight Option

Thanks for the info Gundog1!

I know it's a little off topic as it isn't a waterproof shell (might be water resistant in a very light sprinkle/mist), but Gamehide had made a Gamebird Hoodie that would be another option for someone who wants something more lightweight. I picked one up last year at a Scheels in Nebraska. It's a pretty comfortable hoodie and the material seems like it will hold up well. It has been discontinued but I think some can still be found by doing a Google search.

Last edited:
I bought the Orvis shell on sale a couple of yrs ago for $140. It's an excellent product. I didn't realize they raised the price so much but even so, I might buy another one just in case they quit making them.

I sprayed it down w/ Scotch Guard once &I've been out in steady drizzle for several hours at a field trial & stayed dry. The zip openings under the arms allow me to keep from overheating yet it cuts the wind. Most importantly, the collar is comfortable without interfering with my gun mount.

I have been looking the Orvis jacket over during this discussion. For anyone leaning towards that jacket should read this review from the Orvis web site incase it applies to them:

"This is a tough review for me. First off, I love this jacket. Both my Dad, and Father in Law purchased this jacket after seing mine. I have used this jacket in the snow in PA for pheasants, GA for quail, and 0 degree temps in South Dakota for late season pheasants. The jacket performed wonderfully in all conditions. In SD, I wore a wool undershirt, a shooting shirt, and my Orvis jacket and was plenty warm in near zero degree temps. In PA we hunted in wet snow all day long and I the jacket kept me warm and dry. The pit zips are a wonderful addition, but also this jackets major downfall. The zipper and track have nothing covering them. If you craddle your shotgun under your arm, and the pit zips are zipped closed, the zipper will mark up your shotgun stock. It is happening with all three of our jackets with nearly every gun we have carried. I love this jacket, but the fact that the pit zipper marks up my gun is very disapointing. I would be very hesitant to use this jacket with a nice double gun with great wood."

Back