Warm weather searching

Logical

One would think we would have had colder weather by now! However, I was in Yuma County today, and it was not cold enough for the birds to be predictable.

We met at a walk-in so the dogs could run off some steam. It was 9? when we started, but within half an hour, it was mid-20s. The dogs didn't run, much, but they did stay out ahead so far that they flushed a few birds, all out of gun range (I don't have a dog, so they came with my hunting guests).

Found more birds in a milo field, so that was good. Then went to good grass, and only flushed one bird in a mile. Odd, especially since the shelterbelt was empty, as expected (with the warm weather).

Hit a different milo field, and only got 5 hens up, in a mile.

Then walked a mile in a corn field with lots of grass cover, and saw only hens. About 5 singles at the west end of the field, then about 12 in a group at the east end. Not a single rooster in two fields!

Walked some other great-looking grass next to corn, and only flushed one rooster. Nothing in two wheat-stubble corners. Where the heck are all the roosters??? Pressure is on me, as I am the host, and they have not hunted my area before.

Finally, got into some super-heavy weeds that are shoulder-height, and we jumped about 15 birds, of which about 10 were roosters. They dropped a couple, but their dogs couldn't find one. From there, we walked a quarter-section of grass, with them not following my instructions on how to cover it. So, when I got to the end of the fencerow I told them to walk with me, about 15 roosters got up, most well out of range. But, I got one straggler.

They said they had flushed many at the end of the field while I was watching all the birds bail-out to the west, and they all went north. So, we then walked the north grass quarter. I got one, and the guy that finally stayed near me got 2, while the other two guys lost a cripple. I don't think their dogs helped much, if any, all day.

Anyhow, my point is, keep looking if you don't find them where you think they will be. One grassy field yielded nothing, and two others showed over 30 birds between them. One mile field showed about 20, while another showed 5. You just never know where they may turn up!

Happy Hunting!

They just move around a bunch when it is mild out. I have seen them headed to feed right at shooting light and watch a group of guy's walk the Crp where they left from and then another group walked the same Crp with no results. I bet they were shaking their heads. About 2:30 they migrated back to the grass as I watched them cross the road back to the Walk in Crp. 40+ birds. I was done fairly quickly but as you can see if you miss the birds or don't see them it doesn't mean there are no birds in the area. I have seen them cross the road when you can't even tell what it is because it is still too dark out. They should be more predictable this week with the weather turning cold and a little snowy.Plus you can see their tracks if in fact some snow falls.:cheers:

I hunted around Burlington today. Cold start but hit upper 40's before noon. Did some exploring early and did not put up any birds. I have a couple of spots that have been producing birds later in the day. Hit my first spot kicked up 4 roosters and bagged 2. Took a break for lunch then headed to my second spot. Did not get 30 yards down the fence row and saw birds running. I picked up my pace a bit and got them to flush. There must of been 9 or 10 birds mostly roosters. Picked one out and had my limit.

I am really enjoying hunting in this warm weather. Been out 4 times and got my limit 3 out of 4. Should have been 4 for 4 but I could not hit squat, went 2 for 7

Back