Walnut vs Synthetic stocks for the uplands

I always prefer wood, buy em to use em! Yes, the wood will get a nick, scratch or worn finish after decades of use, but you are likely not too concerned with resale. Water is usually not a threat with upland hunting. Synthetic will wear better but will it resale for that of one with wood furniture? And then you will have to look at and carry around a synthetic one...are you OK with that?

I wouldn't have a shotgun with synthetic anything...a shotgun is a working piece of art. Rifles, on the other hand, I consider tools...my deer rifle has a synthetic stock.
See I'm almost the opposite. My deer rifle takes a lot less of a beating than my shotgun. My shotguns been laid down in dirt, mud (not willingly). Has gotten blood stains on it. I've taken tumbles with it. Used it as a walking stick in deep snowbanks, a depth stick to figure out if I can cross a creek. I would never do that with my deer rifle haha

I think the gun is balanced better with wood but synthetic is a better material for inclement conditions.

I have both, but my upland gun is wood. I don't hunt in the rain anyways so it's a bit of a moot point.

My waterfowl shotgun is synthetic (camo), and this is also the gun I use for turkey hunting.

My deer rifle is wood.

I take pretty good care of all my firearms. I want them to last a long time and be as reliable as possible.

See I'm almost the opposite. My deer rifle takes a lot less of a beating than my shotgun. My shotguns been laid down in dirt, mud (not willingly). Has gotten blood stains on it. I've taken tumbles with it. Used it as a walking stick in deep snowbanks, a depth stick to figure out if I can cross a creek. I would never do that with my deer rifle haha
Yes, but those memories are all preserved on the wood of that shotgun.

Just an old guy's preference, but I've only kept one synthetic stocked long gun firearm in my life and that is a much sought-after
Remington Nylon 66 (There's a story there).

I love the look, feel, and scratches and scars on my old guns. When I was looking through sporting goods stores, I always skipped past the synthetics and focused on the old, familiar, and sometimes, legendary wood-stocked offerings. I don't say they are better, just that they fit the imaginary picture I concoct of Me, striding through the wilderness, dog ranging ahead, and the game cowering in their refuges, trembling at the thought of the handsome, noble-jawed, steely-eyed outdoors-man making their defensive measure seem terribly inadequate.

(Hey, I SAID "imaginary". Gimme a break, here!)

Just an old guy's preference, but I've only kept one synthetic stocked long gun firearm in my life and that is a much sought-after
Remington Nylon 66 (There's a story there).

I love the look, feel, and scratches and scars on my old guns. When I was looking through sporting goods stores, I always skipped past the synthetics and focused on the old, familiar, and sometimes, legendary wood-stocked offerings. I don't say they are better, just that they fit the imaginary picture I concoct of Me, striding through the wilderness, dog ranging ahead, and the game cowering in their refuges, trembling at the thought of the handsome, noble-jawed, steely-eyed outdoors-man making their defensive measure seem terribly inadequate.

(Hey, I SAID "imaginary". Gimme a break, here!)
So were you expecting some blow back on your dream? We all do it!!!

Back