Wall Tents / Army tents

mmelton

Thinking of picking up a used army tent or a Wall Tent. Would like to get as much infor about what you guys and gals think of these.

I'm thinking 1200.00 to 1500.00 max it what I could spend. 14'X16' with a stove for cold nights and days.

give me some pro's and con's please if you have any experiance with these.

CP tent from an army surplus store. They are good tents Make sure you check ever inch of the fabric for moth holes. Spent a lot of time in the marine corps in this tent.

I use Davis Tents from Davis Tent and Awning in Denver. I own 3 with a 14x16 being the smallest. No cons for me yet. Take care of them and put them away dry and will last a long time. I also have one of the stoves they sell. Nice cylinder stove. check their web page. They ship all over the world. Great service and stand behind their product. Check with them. They sometimes have blems or seconds with minor visual quirks for great deals.

http://www.davistent.com/index.cfm?

One other thing I should think about is can I set it up by myself ???

I will hunt all alone sometimes but also I will hunt with one or two more guys as well. Thats why I was thinking 14x 16 so we could have plenty of room for our gear. Most places I would set up camp would be close to the truck so I don't think weight is an issue.

Davis Tent has some video's of set up. They show a young lady putting up a tent all by herself. Video's of how to pack it up as well!

I have a question it my seem silly but I'm a cattleman:). What do you guys hunt that you camp out like that. Seem like it would be ok:thumbsup:

My plan is to set up in the woods just off a logging rd for three days or a week at a time in search of grouse and woodcock. I'ts a good three hour drive for me to get to good hunting grounds up north. I'm not the camp ground type I like the privacy of your own camp. last few years I drive three hours north hunt for three or four hours and drive three hours home. Tired of that and not much time to scout.

Coot, anything so you don't have to drive back to a Hotel/Motel. Mine are mostly for Elk as we drive some nasty roads to get there and do not want to come back down until we leave. I have seen them being used for bird hunting on long trips and fishing. They are nice.:cheers:

That makes sense guys:) You guys are thinkers:thumbsup: I talked to a guy from MO sunday that sets up camp on a 480 acre wetland near me. And hunts there for a few days. Guess he follows the migration south. That would be fun if you had the time. Thanks for answering guys:)

well the boss has cut my spending to 1000.00. Anyone know of any place that has good used equipment. I'm always afraid to buy used stuff on line. I like what i see at the wall tent shop but what I can afford is a little smaller than I wanted. Keep in mind I need to get a stove for would like a couple windows and a rain cover or fly as they call it.

Craigslist has quite a few around here. Check where you live. There is a good chance they are selling them with the stove.

What kind of profit margin do they have on tents? Might be worth going to the tent store, picking what you want, and offering what you can afford. Something like, "I really like that tent over there and this stove, but all I have is this $1000 cash..." Worst they can say is "no". :thumbsup:

Good luck. I hope you have some good memorable hunts with whatever you get.

I now think I will go with the alaknak 12x20 from cabeles. Anyone have any experiance with one of these. ??

Back