walk-in hunting in kansas

ljckr

would like to know about the walk in hunting in kansas, is just like all other hunting find some good spots and some not worth it and are they very big tracts of land or does it vary, can you get a map of all the areas that allow walk-in hunting,thanks for any help.

Walk-In in Kansas

would like to know about the walk in hunting in kansas, is just like all other hunting find some good spots and some not worth it and are they very big tracts of land or does it vary, can you get a map of all the areas that allow walk-in hunting,thanks for any help.

Go to the KDWP website to download the 2009 walk-in hunting atlas. The 2010 comes out later this year for the fall season. Patches range from 40 acres to several abutting sections varying short native grass to CRP to cultivated fields with corn and milo stalks and wheat stubble for cover. Kansas has about 1.2 million acres in walk-in, so there is a lot to choose from.

The others about covered it all. Only problem is the secret is getting out, most of it gets hunted hard. Have to go way off the beaten path and be willing to put in the extra effort to get into birds after the opening week, as they will have been hunted hard and know the tricks to evade the hunters. Thats a generality of course, there are exceptions to every rule. Didn't make it out by myself this year just hunting WIHA's, but two years ago went a couple times, just me and my dogs, wandering the big CRP patches, kind of going wherever the dogs wanted to go, and did well.

Wiha

I've been driving from South Georgia to Kansas for the past 10 years to hunt WIHA. Kansas has a great thing going. Some years are better than others. But we alway have a good time.

We put a lot of miles on the truck once we get there.

Just make sure to do your research when you get the map from the KDWP. Use google earth and other maps to help scout areas that you wouldn't normally be able to. If you know of anyone that lives in the areas that you are wanting to hunt, call them and ask them what's planted where and such to try and give you a heads up. Good luck with everything...:thumbsup:

me & a freind from el reno are talking about going up there this year ,
he has a gsp that is good on birds, maybe we can make plans for a trip up there

will be taking a year old and 10 month old by the time hunting season rolls around ,it will be their first hunting season ,so i will be looking to get them into as many birds as i can and dad has always wanted to go back to kansas so this sounds like a good idea and have to stay intouch, but for now i will be going to the local navhda events to get the pups ready for this fall hunting season.

In Scott County we'll be losing some WIHA & some CRP that's been decent hunting. Term is up & a lot's coming out - unless they change their mind.

Back