Walk in Areas

MN - WIAs much, much, better cover than SD. Very rare you pull up to a mowed or planted WIA in MN. But like you said, SD (primary pheasant range) just has the right conditions (soils, weather/wind) for growing birds. I think it's a shame - they could put just a touch of effort in the public lands in SD and it would have a huge impact on the bird hunting.
Completely agree the WIA's in MN are much better. If you plucked them out and put them in SD there would be tons of birds on them. Hopefully the habitat stamp does some good on the public grounds they do have out there. Time will tell. The part that gets me is hunting brings in big money to the state you would think they would want to manage it better.

Completely agree the WIA's in MN are much better. If you plucked them out and put them in SD there would be tons of birds on them. Hopefully the habitat stamp does some good on the public grounds they do have out there. Time will tell. The part that gets me is hunting brings in big money to the state you would think they would want to manage it better.
I think what the state has found is that the biggest money comes in from pay-to-play, so little incentive to make the public land hunting better.

I think what the state has found is that the biggest money comes in from pay-to-play, so little incentive to make the public land hunting better.
I don’t agree. Most of those high end lodges feed and house their guests. Maybe gas or a trip to a bar, but public land and road hunters are the ones filling the hotels. They have a huge opportunity now that hunting is so down in other states.

I don’t agree. Most of those high end lodges feed and house their guests. Maybe gas or a trip to a bar, but public land and road hunters are the ones filling the hotels. They have a huge opportunity now that hunting is so down in other states.
How is a lodge housing and feeding any different than a hotel and a cafe? It is still taxable income to the state. The difference is you are looking at up to $1000 per day of taxable revenue vs $100. The state is going to cater to the former.

I don't disagree that they are missing an opportunity - they could do both - support private hunting and put a little investment into making public better (and drawing more hunters).

To the original point, here is what you need to know.
I like others often wondered what the deal is with walk in that has close to zero habitat or hunting value. Straight from a SDGFP employee involved with the program, his paraphrased message was that in order to enroll some prime pieces of WIA they sometimes need to enroll some of the owners not-so productive land as well. Whether it's to hit a certain acre amount for the program guidelines or a certain payment amount desired by the enrollee. Also noted was payment amounts by acre vary based on the quality of the land to wildlife.

As for wia's in Minnesota being better
1. Many i have seen are waterways. Now because they passed a law creating buffer zones to improve water quality. They legally created a incentive for the landowner to enroll in a wia program.
2. The habitat stamp has only been in place in S.Dak for a few years. I believe Minnesota has had 1 for 10 years.
3. With the population in Minnesota being way higher then S.Dak's. I would think they also raise more money thru license sales and PittmanRoberts funds. Money makes things happen.

I would love to see a federal law requiring buffer zones. And don't eff it up like CRP where by the landowner is required to cover a certain percentage of the cost of seeding/maintenance. Any outside funding (think PF or DU or other groups) that is recieved is deducted from the governments percentage.

Last edited:
Keep in mind walk in areas aren't just for upland hunting, duck and geese will use a mowed off or harvested field.

As for wia's in Minnesota being better
1. Many i have seen are waterways. Now because they passed a law creating buffer zones to improve water quality. They legally created a incentive for the landowner to enroll in a wia program.
I've had the opposite experience. I've hunted a lot of them and no waterways anywhere in site.

ND and MN WIA are pretty nice for the most part.

All three states had pretty extensive mowing in 2021. The WIA seems to be hit the hardest !

Back