Waiting for all the pics and brags from the grouse whisperers....

My favorite grouse spot hasn't been very predictable this year. The elevation and habitat there is on the uphill side of good brood rearing habitat. Other spots I've hunted on the west slope the majority of our birds were shot about as low in elevation as grouse would exist in my mind. Mostly grass, sage and mixed shrubs with aspen groves nearby but not in large concentrations. We have found a few birds in the higher elevation meadows this year but have had a lot more action down lower. I wish it was easier to post pictures on here...

I had an antelope tag in Western WY near Pinedale last week and after closing that out on Friday, my buddy and I tooled around chasing birds a bit. Found the usual Ruffs in the Upper Green north of Pinedale, and when we got down to 'my' spots in WY and CO, found a few blues, but not a ton (most of my spots are in the Aspen/Spruce transition zone and higher). We did kill a couple of females up relatively high, suggesting they are starting the move up.

Will have a better report next week - we're hitting our honey holes this weekend.

Had a fun long weekend hunt. Snow and rain on Wednesday/Thursday up high had all the springs charged up and the woods were wet. Saw a lot of birds, mostly singles and doubles. Just a few family groups. All of this was between 9000'-10,500'.

One of our spots had been like a dustbowl when I checked it out two weekends ago, and we hunted it hard and only found 2 on Friday afternoon. Saturday and Sunday we went to a wetter area and birds were all over. They were as spooky and skittish as I've ever seen Blue grouse. Lots of wild flushes where you hear but never see them, and more than a few missed downhill shots that resulted in a lot of tree pruning, but were able to scratch out limits both days for all 3 of us. Old bombers and hens pretty much mixed together. Crops were full of vaccinium leaves, flower buds and some seeds I've never seen before - look like a watermelon seed, but beige/white. No needles yet, even the big males had nice light pink meat.

My buddies best buddy with a Saturday limit below:

Screen%20Shot%202015-09-21%20at%208.53.18%20AM_zpsnpcv6yrj.png

It's been a decent year so far from my end. A bit tougher getting out with a newborn on hand, but I'll take the investment in a future hunting partner over a few missed days of grouse hunting. Happy to hear that a bunch of you are getting after it this year!

Southern CO

Grouse were very abundant this year in southern CO. Although most of our spruce trees seem about dead, the Forbes, grass and brush on the forest floor is THICK! good practice for the lab, he's a flusher and to be successful on the mountain grouse means he is staying in close. Saw plenty, to damn slow for most. Got four in three trips out, last trip was skunked but I had one flush right at my face, had to duck out of way and came up firing.... And missing. Note to game birds....if ya wanna live...attack!!! :D

Back