VW Passat 4 motion vs. Subaru

The wife wants a new car probably a GMC Acadia or Chevy Traverse. As a result, I will also be getting rid of my pickup as we only need one larger vehicle to pull our boat.

That got me thinking of my next vehicle. I want to get something that gets decent gas mileage and has some interior room for my kids and the dog. After consideration I think that a good old fashion station wagon would do the trick.

I am considering picking up a used VW Passat Wagon with 4 motion or a some type of Subaru Wagon (Outback, Forster, Impreza). I think that these vehicles would work great for 95% of my hunting trips. When I need something bigger I will just take the wife's car.

If anyone has experience or opinion with any of these models I would like some input. Also if you have pictures with a dog crate in the back that would be great so I could get an idea on how much space there is.

:cheers:

Based on reputation, not personal experience, the Outback hands down.

You didn't mention where you hunt and under what conditions: muddy fields, possible deep snow, often off road - unimproved section roads et al.

Wouldn't these factors add to the car/truck consideration?

Just some thoughts...

I primarily hunt in wisconsin. The roads are either paved or gravel forest roads when I grouse hunt in Northern Wisconsin. I don't take my vehicles off road because I hunt public ground and off roading in not allowed in the areas I hunt.

As a side not I have had my F-150 for 3 years and love it, but in reality I have only put it in 4 wheel drive a handfull of times and 99% of them have been after a snowstorm in January or Feb. I just can't justify having two large vehicle. I average 18 miles per gallon with my F-150 and the other vehilces I am looking at average around 25 miles per gallon. Over a year of my everday driving (20,000 miles per year and gas averaging $3.50 per gallon) switching to one of the previous mentioned vehicles would save me about $1100 a year. $1100 is a part of the way to a really nice shotgun or a few more weekends away pheasant or grouse hunting. :)

I've been driving Volkswagen products since...lord...1970 or so. :(

And, I've been looking at Subaru stuff with this Winter's weather, and checking out reviews and customer feed-back on used vehicles of each brand for the past year or so.

Even with my pre-disposition, I wanted to want a Subaru. But so many of the reviews say they are great vehicles, but once you get up in miles (and years) they require some serious work. Serious work seems to mean dealer repair, and dealer repair means major $$,

But, of course, Volks Wagen, is not really the "Folks Vehicle" it started out as, and there's no such thing as home repair anymore. It is a state-of-the art, electronically tricked-out, international vehicle.

And it's anyone's guess where they are made. My Fox wagen was made in Brazil, I think the Bugs are made in Mexico, I have no idea where my Jetta was put together.

So...right now, I'm sticking with the old Jetta, with average of 26 mpg, a one-time high of 34 mpg (when the cruise control worked), and fold down seats that accomodate canoe paddles, dogs, shotguns, and miscellaneous and sundry "stuff."

Best wishes.

I personally couldn't imagine living without a pickup. My wife would not be impressed if I put my dog in her rig after it got sprayed by a skunk. Thank god he hasn't been sprayed yet, but there's always a first time for everything! Plus he loves water so he's laying in it any chance he gets, even if it's mud. Wet, muddy dog inside a vehicle, no thanks.

Side bar- i have a 2010 Traverse which is an absolute turd. They may have improved since then . I hate this vehicle more than any other Ive had. Run the other direction

Don't know if this makes a difference, but my mechanic (who is one of the best in my area and very trustworthy) won't work on VWs. He's been working on my GMC truck, my Jeep, and my Subaru Legacy for years, but when I referred a coworker with a Jetta he said he didn't work on them. Not sure why, but I trust his work and his judgement.

For what it's worth, I've had my Subaru Legacy sedan for 4 years now, and I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever - Just periodic maintenance and a set of tires. It's better on slick roads than either the GMC or the Jeep. Once the snow gets deep I'll grab the Jeep for ground clearance, but for snowpacked/icy roads I'll take the Subaru any day. Not sure I'd want a muddy dog riding along, though...

:cheers:

I have owned at least three Subaru vehicles (and maybe 4). My brother had the Passat 4motion so I've driven in it and been able to compare.

The VW is a paved road vehicle. Great motor, nice power, ride etc. But the reliability of my brothers was terrible. Not the mechanicals but all the electronics blew out. He needed to replace the entire instrument cluster -twice.

Most Subarus are underpowered IMO (except for those RSX things or whatever they are) But is you get an Outback or Forrester you can get into to some places that you would only take a 4x4 truck and you will be fine.

The 4 wheel system is better in the Subaru IMO. It's flawless. They should make a big PU truck if you ask me. I don't know why they don't. Subarus don't have the highest quality interior stuff but it doesn't break. I've had very good reliability with the ones I've owned (all wife cars).

I went through a plowed field with an old GL wagon back in the late 80 to pull a deer out of the woods. Buried the front end up to the axle and it just crawled out. Still can't believe that one.

If I were to buy another vehicle (or reduce my fleet to just 2 rigs), I'd seriously consider a Subaru. That being said, I'm retired, all 3 rigs are paid-off, & 2 of the 3 have low mileage so I'll keep what I have ('08 Tacoma 4x4, '99 Wrangler <fun toy>, '08 Caliber.). I'll always have a pick-up, but I have crated my 50#, tall pup back & forth to Montana in both the Caliber & behind the seat in the access cab Tacoma with room to spare, so I doubt you'd have space problems with a Subaru wagon. If I were reduced to just 1 rig, it would be a 4x4 pick-up. I'd reconsider keeping your truck.

Side bar- i have a 2010 Traverse which is an absolute turd. They may have improved since then . I hate this vehicle more than any other Ive had. Run the other direction

What about the Traverse didn't you like? I was thinking about getting rid of our mini van and going with a Traverse. I've got several friends that like their Traverse.

My .02

The better half drives an '02 Passat GLX 4Motion. Been a great car! I wouldn't hesitate to buy another. Only issue with hers is fuel mileage. The darn thing only gets 18-19 in town and 23-24 on the highway. According to the dealer, this is normal. Said the 4 motion makes it a "thirsty little sucker". A few minor repairs (O2 sensor and a few minor electrical demons) are all we've done in nearly 100K miles. Keep in mind, as it was said above, this is a highway car - no way I would go off road in it!

Back