Visited SD…..

I can’t fix anything but my buddies can…we’ve worked on farm equipment several times…very cool to get the farmer back in the combine! Some of these places are really remote, and getting a mechanic to show can take days…

BB - don’t have the longevity that you have going to SD but see similar things with the landowners we have gotten to know and hunt on. One I know we have to plan to be there about 8 am so we can stand in the barn yard, or if cold sit in the truck, as he will literally have a list of questions for me in regards to the industry I work in. Last year he knew we were coming so had us load up a heavy ass washer for his wife in her truck to take to their daughter. Love being able to talk or offer a lending hand whenever we can. Another one you better be there early and have a couple of mountain dews for him since will be feeding cattle. Love the relationships we have been able to build so far and getting to know each farmer and family.

One thing I’ve learned about humanity: even in little towns…100 people, 200 people…they rely on each other, that’s the law of the land…you help each other, cause you never know when you’re the guy in need. But don’t think for one second that they all get along! Gossip is flaring up right now as we chat here…envy, jealousy, resentment, vindictiveness, you name it (just heard all this stuff last week)…here’s my point: some of these farmers love having friends that aren’t part of their little tribe, cause they don’t want their business out there, you know? I listen to these guys and they all have stuff they need to get off their chests…we all do…it’s just the way it is. If they trust you, it can be shocking what you’ll learn…not in a bad way, just shocking. After my first season in SD, I fulfilled a promise to a farmer who gave us permission to hunt his ground after he left for TX…I told him every guy would kick in $20, and I’d come see him the following spring. We stood outside on a beautiful April day…he tapped his overall pocket and said, “The way I see it, if I didn’t let you hunt, I wouldn’t have this $600 in my pocket, would I?”….I said “No, you wouldn’t”. He then recited his 1040 for me…total revenue, all the expenses, and net income for the farm. I was 28, maybe he knew I was in finance, but I don’t think so. He was a very quiet, private man. Loved to show us his airplanes, and what each part cost that was lying around. Very interesting stuff. Many of these people are not trusting of others in their communities..they’re competitive, I guess…but they want to know what everyone is doing, thinking, saying, rural soap opera! But they’re damned good people. Everything you do will be known by many, so it pays to behave!!!😝🤪😆

BB I live half dozen miles from Kendalls smoke fish house. Farmer friends love their fish. Gave fish to morning coffee farmers and didn't ask for anything . Relations are built and they offer when in town. They alway wonder how them ore ships float.

Like Kendalls too! And the candy there in knife river! And pies from the rustic! My go/to smoked salmon is from northern waters in canal park..,🤪

Talked to a contact in north central part of the state tonight. Said he has seen more chicks the last 2 weeks then the rest of the summer so encouraged there may have been some good late nesting. Also said seeing decent number of sharptails so that was good.

my land had about 6" of rain in a day, and about 8" in about 3 days last june...8th, 9th, 10th,...2020...highs in the 60's, lows in the upper 40's....wind blowing up to 40 mph sustained for hours and hours...you can't tell me chicks survived that, especially since it is peak hatch time...this summer hasn't been ideal, or optimal, but when is it? there's always death, and tragedy...always will be. maybe one year in twenty do we have the "perfect storm" of positives in the mix...most years it's mediocre, and several in a few decades it's rotten...when the habitat backdrop is not good, even when the great elements exist, bird #'s will be ok, not great...we'll take what we get...it will be OK...when bird #'s were great, limits could be had in minutes, not hours...that's not what I'm after...it's cool bar talk, or social media talk, but it's not what I'm after...I want to put on 10 miles a day out in the hunting country...4-5 hours of actual walking...I walk 5 miles a day all spring and summer, at least 6 days a week...not getting my steps in while hunting is a drag...it's not about killing 3 birds and getting back to the motel or farmhouse...I love being out in the fields with the dogs...and birds...and sun, rain, wind, snow...clouds...the prairie grasses become a canvas for the setting sun late in the day..can't believe the colors and hues and the beauty they expose, especially late in the day...I don't go to church when I'm in the city...I am in church when I'm walking along lake superior, or walking in the woods, or best yet, wandering out in the prairies...

Last edited:
my land had about 6" of rain in a day, and about 8" in about 3 days last june...8th, 9th, 10th,...2020...highs in the 60's, lows in the upper 40's....wind blowing up to 40 mph sustained for hours and hours...you can't tell me chicks survived that, especially since it is peak hatch time...this summer hasn't been ideal, or optimal, but when is it? there's always death, and tragedy...always will be. maybe one year in twenty do we have the "perfect storm" of positives in the mix...most years it's mediocre, and several in a few decades it's rotten...when the habitat backdrop is not good, even when the great elements exist, bird #'s will be ok, not great...we'll take what we get...it will be OK...when bird #'s were great, limits could be had in minutes, not hours...that's not what I'm after...it's cool bar talk, or social media talk, but it's not what I'm after...I want to put on 10 miles a day out in the hunting country...4-5 hours of actual walking...I walk 5 miles a day all spring and summer, at least 6 days a week...not getting my steps in while hunting is a drag...it's not about killing 3 birds and getting back to the motel or farmhouse...I love being out in the fields with the dogs...and birds...and sun, rain, wind, snow...clouds...the prairie grasses become a canvas for the setting sun late in the day..can't believe the colors and hues and the beauty they expose, especially late in the day...I don't go to church when I'm in the city...I am in church when I'm walking along lake superior, or walking in the woods, or best yet, wandering out in the prairies...
OK BB you hit a nerve, in this case a good one.
Couldn't agree with you more.
Almost 3 decades of trips to SD and I hadn't thought of the church reference but it is like a religion.
Lots of chatter about droughts, bird numbers, surveys - all interesting read, but it doesn't really matter -- I'm going.
Too many friends I haven't seen since January.
Best days now are when I'm still hunting the last hour of the day and as I've aged, strangely, I've come to appreciate solo hunting much more.
Solid points, backs and retrieves warm my soul.
Its an incredible privilege to chase wild pheasants behind good bird dogs.

Attachments

• Sunset.jpg
    Sunset.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 15
  • Reece & Rocky.jpg
    Reece & Rocky.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 15
r...I want to put on 10 miles a day out in the hunting country...4-5 hours of actual walking...I walk 5 miles a day all spring and summer, at least 6 days a week...not getting my steps in while hunting is a drag...it's not about killing 3 birds and getting back to the motel or farmhouse...I love being out in the fields with the dogs...and birds...and sun, rain, wind, snow...clouds...the prairie grasses become a canvas for the setting sun late in the day..can't believe the colors and hues and the beauty they expose, especially late in the day...
Totally agree. In an ideal scenario I want to spread my 3 birds out throughout the entire day. Some of my favorite days are when I start at 10am on a very large piece of public land and bring my lunch in my pack with me, knowing I wont' return to the vehicle until mid-late afternoon - which leaves me just enough time to get to one other spot before sunset.

Thanks for sharing your words. It seems that a lot of people like to default to the "glass is half empty" when it comes to pheasants and hunting in general. It's nice to see some "half full" sentiments.
Here's my take on hunting public land in SD each year... If I hunt hard from 10am to sunset, I am going to get a realistic chance to shoot 3 roosters (doesn't mean I'm coming home with 3). I think anybody in a group of 1-3 can get a realistic chance to limit on public land with hard work/walking/covering miles, a group of 4+ cannot, in most cases, limit on public land. There are so many variables to this though - good shooting, good dog work, crop harvest, weather, being in the right spot at the right time, entering the field in the correct location, being quiet, etc. Almost the only way I have not had success is late in the season when the days are too short, 10am-5pm, and you spend too much time in an area that simply just doesn't have birds - whether it was because of a small isolated hailstorm the previous summer, or whatever it may be.

Here's my take on hunting public land in SD each year... If I hunt hard from 10am to sunset, I am going to get a realistic chance to shoot 3 roosters (doesn't mean I'm coming home with 3). I think anybody in a group of 1-3 can get a realistic chance to limit on public land with hard work/walking/covering miles, a group of 4+ cannot, in most cases, limit on public land. There are so many variables to this though - good shooting, good dog work, crop harvest, weather, being in the right spot at the right time, entering the field in the correct location, being quiet, etc. Almost the only way I have not had success is late in the season when the days are too short, 10am-5pm, and you spend too much time in an area that simply just doesn't have birds - whether it was because of a small isolated hailstorm the previous summer, or whatever it may be.
I agree. I'll always take a little luck if I can get it, but an experienced hunter (who's familiar w/ the land) & decent canine counterpart can considerably increase the odds of the planets lining up just right. Ace told me that with the youth season, residents only weekend, & regular season lasting through January, his goal is to chase roosters 40 days this season, with or without me, regardless of what the naysayers say.
(I told him good luck doing that without me.)

I agree. I'll always take a little luck if I can get it, but an experienced hunter (who's familiar w/ the land) & decent canine counterpart can considerably increase the odds of the planets lining up just right. Ace told me that with the youth season, residents only weekend, & regular season lasting through January, his goal is to chase roosters 40 days this season, with or without me, regardless of what the naysayers say.
(I told him good luck doing that without me.)
Well, this is awkward. Ace has been sending Sage and me private messages about getting out on random weekdays when you're at work.

I got lucky.
It was a case of being in the right place at the right time, while the weather and my planning were trying to let me down.
Drove to SD, pulled over a little west of Salem, hunkered down in a 6x10 utility trailer, woke up to a driving rainstorm, and headed out.
Before I entered the field, a farmer (more than that now) asked how I'd fared the night.... replied 'Barely'
Mr. Todd took me in for 5 days and let me hunt his lands.
When I return in Oct/Nov., I WILL have some PA swag.... maple syrup, Yengling (sp) beer, Amish apple butter, and whatever else I can think of.... and leave a discreet envelope for the mess we might make...
But because of that man's kindness.... I no longer have to worry about weather reports, brood counts, hotels, etc. I get to....
Just.
Go.
Hunt.

I got lucky.
It was a case of being in the right place at the right time, while the weather and my planning were trying to let me down.
Drove to SD, pulled over a little west of Salem, hunkered down in a 6x10 utility trailer, woke up to a driving rainstorm, and headed out.
Before I entered the field, a farmer (more than that now) asked how I'd fared the night.... replied 'Barely'
Mr. Todd took me in for 5 days and let me hunt his lands.
When I return in Oct/Nov., I WILL have some PA swag.... maple syrup, Yengling (sp) beer, Amish apple butter, and whatever else I can think of.... and leave a discreet envelope for the mess we might make...
But because of that man's kindness.... I no longer have to worry about weather reports, brood counts, hotels, etc. I get to....
Just.
Go.
Hunt.
Keep exploring, keep making friends…all things will change..enjoy while you can!!!👍

Back