Utah and it's habitat

Pheasants4ever

Administrator
I have never been hunting in Utah, but have exhibited 3 times at the ISE show in Sandy. Just about everyone I talked to there said the same thing- "We used to have a lot of birds, but there is just no habitat for them anymore".

Has anything changed since I was last there (in 2005)? I know there is a big PF chapter in Salt Lake City, but how active are others-the landowners and other conservation groups?

Thanks!

huntingbuddy

I think there is a lot of room for improvement in utah and Idaho. I really havent seen PF do much, I have seen DU do more for the pheasants and their habitat than PF I really hope that can change.

QuillGordon

My uncle was the Pres of the PF chapter located in Price, Utah... They gave up hope... Drought and lack of interest from the farming community is what did them in... However last year the birds did rebound in Emery Co. and we found plenty of bird's, this year drought is center stage again...

Blaze 06 Season:cool:

wingshot

Utah pheasants

I am new to the forum so I will tell you I have been hunting Sanpete County Utah all my life and my dad grew up hunting roosters there. The stories he tells me are just insane! It sounds like Utah USED to be like Nebraska or Kansas but now is just a shame. We have a family pheasant hunt every year there and only a few birds will fall or shall I say get up for that matter. I have resorted to traveling to other states just to see what it is really like having wild roosters running every where.
The problem I see in Utah is loss of habitat (#1) due to new farming methods and over grazing. I have also noticed alot of predators such as hawks, eagles, coyotes, skunks, feral cats, raccoons, and foxes. I mean they are every where!!
When I and everyone else say loss of habitat we mean it. I have noticed that in other states where pheasants are wide spread and abundant the farmers leave an area next to the fences that is not touched by wheel lines or the large wheeled sprinklers and is also never harvested. This allows the pheasants to roost and nest. Ol timers in Sanpete tell of how the farmers used to leave areas along the fences for pheasants but now it is a thing of the past. I swear almost every field no matter how small has horses, cattle, or sheep grazing to the point there is no cover. I have not seen any improvements made by PF. Wild roosters are the funnest bird to hunt but the hunters in Sanpete have resorted to planting birds to shoot instead of setting aside habitat for the wild pheasants to utililize. It is a shame to say the least. I have done what I can with my land but it is not much compared to the majority of the land owners in the area.

McGeeOJ

I am new to the forum so I will tell you I have been hunting Sanpete County Utah all my life and my dad grew up hunting roosters there. The stories he tells me are just insane! It sounds like Utah USED to be like Nebraska or Kansas but now is just a shame. We have a family pheasant hunt every year there and only a few birds will fall or shall I say get up for that matter. I have resorted to traveling to other states just to see what it is really like having wild roosters running every where.
The problem I see in Utah is loss of habitat (#1) due to new farming methods and over grazing. I have also noticed alot of predators such as hawks, eagles, coyotes, skunks, feral cats, raccoons, and foxes. I mean they are every where!!
When I and everyone else say loss of habitat we mean it. I have noticed that in other states where pheasants are wide spread and abundant the farmers leave an area next to the fences that is not touched by wheel lines or the large wheeled sprinklers and is also never harvested. This allows the pheasants to roost and nest. Ol timers in Sanpete tell of how the farmers used to leave areas along the fences for pheasants but now it is a thing of the past. I swear almost every field no matter how small has horses, cattle, or sheep grazing to the point there is no cover. I have not seen any improvements made by PF. Wild roosters are the funnest bird to hunt but the hunters in Sanpete have resorted to planting birds to shoot instead of setting aside habitat for the wild pheasants to utililize. It is a shame to say the least. I have done what I can with my land but it is not much compared to the majority of the land owners in the area.
That's a shame Wingshot. I am moving out to Utah from South Carolina and was all riled up about upland game, but it sounds like it's less than fantastic. Really disappointed!

PTH

Utah potential pheasant habitat

So I have been thinking, with the great salt lake drying up why in the hell don't we put our resources together and turn what was once a duck hunting paradise into a pheasant hunting Mecca. I mean if you think about it, it wouldn't take much to vastly improve the pheasant hunting around the lake. Endless potential prime habitat is there for the taking and could easily be improved to benefit pheasants. I'm talking food plots that would require very little maintenance, major predator control, some favorable weather and you would be well on your way. I would be all for starting a foundation or organization that works hand and hand with the division and state solely for this cause. Pheasant Forever isn't doing much in this state. Why don't we band together and jump on a golden opportunity. The state could even sale lake permits and use the majority of the proceeds to help with improvements. Pheasant hunting is an activity many people enjoy even ones that aren't that big into hunting, I think if a quality resource was available people would gladly support it. Thoughts? I am seriously consider starting a legit Utah pheasant foundation where all proceeds go into something specific like this and help bring back some good pheasant hunting to Utah.